AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backgrounding beef calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wheat farmer
Posted 7/14/2007 23:00 (#174294 - in reply to #174256)
Subject: RE: backgrounding beef calves

I am cashing the checks, that proves it to me.  The grass was renting out at $12/acre and no takers at $15/acre.  Last year my gross return on the grass was about $165 to $178 per acre.  In May, I sold a group of calves that grossed $265/head.  The oats may have been able to be sold at $75 to $90 a ton locally, if you can find any takers.  Prairie hay, about $40 t0 $50 a ton locally.  Seems everybody feels they have plenty of feed, but would steal it from you if possible.  Costs to ship the oat hay and grass hay eats up the potential profits.  The machinery is already been around here 10 to 15 years except for the swather and round baler which together cost me about $28,000.  My time taking care of the livestock is minimal.  About 1 hour per day except for the day I have to grind grain which takes about 4 to 6 hours a month.  The time at the sale barn is kind of my time off so to speak to see friends and chat a little.  Again, no big expense.  Maybe I'm lucky so far, but I am making it work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)