AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autosteer compatibility
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dirtpan
Posted 7/8/2007 01:45 (#171707 - in reply to #171152)
Subject: Re: Autosteer compatibility

Starkville, Mississippi
Well lets see if I can muddy the waters a bit. Everyone is right in that MOST systems use a proprietary format to communicate. Examples are Trimble and TSIP. RTK correction is a different set of communication protocols and does not deal with positional data. In this case JD, Trimble, and all the others have their own as well. One that is a "universally" accepted is CMR and CMR+. It is a Trimble protocol, but like the ESRI shapefile, it is becoming a defacto standard. This is the one that Trimble and most other companies use. It is the reason Don in Alabama is able to operate like he is. Both his receiver and the Base are utilizing CMR corrections. The parent company that makes JD's receivers built CMR capability into ALL of their products. JD in their infinite wisedom has decided to design their firmware for the NAVCOM receivers to NOT utilize the CMR protocol. CMR is a compact and efficient protocol, which is why I think most everyone is supporting it. I think for engineering and surveying operations and virtual network solutions it is propably beneficial to stick with the brands proprietary format. If for nothing else it is easier to post-process or support if you have problems.

You are also correct about the TCM in the starfire receivers. You CAN use off-color RTK solutions with a Greenstar, but certain functions will not work because they are looking for the JD terrain compensated solution (I'm told). There was a list posted not too long ago detailing what would and would not work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)