AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carroll Painting
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Buster 50
Posted 8/19/2011 10:59 (#1919695)
Subject: Carroll Painting

North West IA/western AZ
Any good, bad, or any other comment? They want to screw down the loose sheets and paint my last 2 rusty galvanized roofs for $1100, approx. 6000 ft². Out of Des Moines but still has a souther accent.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kfarms
Posted 8/19/2011 11:33 (#1919737 - in reply to #1919695)
Subject: RE: Carroll Painting

Northern Ohio
We had them paint some bins and barns a couple of years ago. We are in N Ohio. Didn't do a horrible job on the bins. The wood barn he painted is already peeling and flaking bad. The red on steel barn is fine but the white on doors is almost all off. He told us he was from South Carolina. We had one stop this year saying he was from Columbus Ohio but he had a pretty strong accent and the truck he drove was from a dealer in SC. Not sure where he was actually from.
dave morgan
Posted 8/19/2011 11:58 (#1919759 - in reply to #1919737)

Somerville, Indiana
I don't think they know either...Ask him to come back this fall-only let him paint one building-bin at a time...This fall if when he returns let him do another, same the next spring...One of the Dave Nelsons does just that here.
DG N. AL
Posted 8/19/2011 12:21 (#1919777 - in reply to #1919695)
Subject: Jack Carroll & Sons

Hillsboro, AL

I have his business card and it says he is from Memphis, TN.  They have painted bins for us and done a decent job.  NEGOTIATE on the price.

JJS
Posted 8/19/2011 12:24 (#1919779 - in reply to #1919695)

Southern Lower Michigan
Had a Tommy Carroll do some painting around here. Did some roofs for me. The first job was a good job lasted 7+ years. Every other job didn't last 2 years. The last one didn't last a Year.
He has since moved on
Joe
bonhammj
Posted 8/19/2011 12:31 (#1919787 - in reply to #1919779)
Subject: Re: Carroll Painting

Southern NJ
We had them paint for us............never again. They painted a chicken house roof, and it washed off within a year. Invest your money into some decent paint and do it yourself. They are as slippery as they come. It doesn't matter what their business cards say, they're all from North Augusta SC
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 8/19/2011 12:57 (#1919830 - in reply to #1919695)

northeastern Ohio
Jimmy Carroll did some small bins for us 20 years ago. He did a good job, and when he returned the next year we had him paint a barn. Negotiated a good price per gallon (I think it was $20 per gallon including labor). It rained a few days later and most of the paint washed off. This was back when gasoline was 99 cents and it looked like they cut the paint with gas. I have never seen Jimmy again, but his "cousin" was here a few years ago......
larryshoat
Posted 8/19/2011 13:23 (#1919858 - in reply to #1919695)

Southwestern Ohio

Jack Carroll, that was the name they used here and I have no doubt that it is all the same people, one guy riding around in a new pickup getting jobs and collecting checks. When you pay them they will drive to your bank and cash the the check, I can't imagine how much cash they have with them. All that being said they didn't do too bad of a job for what it cost, them screwing down a roof will never happen, they'll put in a couple while you're watching. If you give them what they're asking you're paying too much, they will deal with you.

Larry
tommyw-5088
Posted 8/19/2011 14:45 (#1919962 - in reply to #1919858)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
Cant buy good paint for nothing ,It seems people expect painters can buy paint for 10$ a gallon ,,,It does not exist .

If it were me ,I would go to sherwin willams ,buy my own paint ,pay them labor for putting it on .
Buster 50
Posted 8/19/2011 15:13 (#1919989 - in reply to #1919962)

North West IA/western AZ
tommyw-5088 - 8/19/2011 13:45

Cant buy good paint for nothing ,It seems people expect painters can buy paint for 10$ a gallon ,,,It does not exist .

If it were me ,I would go to sherwin willams ,buy my own paint ,pay them labor for putting it on .

That's funny Tommy, I just called SW and they said I would need a primer and a cover coat each at $40/gal. Carroll was going to do it in 1 coat.
IowaGuy
Posted 8/19/2011 15:18 (#1919992 - in reply to #1919695)

I've had them before. Seem to do a decent job on grain bins, but not on wood buildings, the paint hasn't lasted on wood. They will tell you that they use Sherwin Williams paint, but the buckets left behind aren't. Be around and watch them and you'll get a better job, as others have said you have to barter down the price. If someone named Sherlock comes around and claims to be Carroll's cousin, don't bite.
deereman05
Posted 8/19/2011 16:58 (#1920065 - in reply to #1919695)

Your moms house
Maybey instead of trying to get them down pay what there asking but tell them to put on extra. Jmho.
Detroit
Posted 8/19/2011 16:59 (#1920066 - in reply to #1919992)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
IowaGuy - 8/19/2011 14:18

I've had them before. Seem to do a decent job on grain bins, but not on wood buildings, the paint hasn't lasted on wood. They will tell you that they use Sherwin Williams paint, but the buckets left behind aren't. Be around and watch them and you'll get a better job, as others have said you have to barter down the price. If someone named Sherlock comes around and claims to be Carroll's cousin, don't bite.

The landlord we rent from had the shop buildings painted about 3 years ago. It still looks pretty good. He used battleship grey with white doors and roof. Actually did good on the roof and walls but the doors look awful.

He was using a good quality paint and put in the prep time. When it was all over and he got ready to leave he was starting to unload all of his empty 5 gallon metal paint cans in our yard. We just happened to catch him and made him load them all up and leave. I've never seen such a huge mountain of empty 5 gallon cans in my life. If we were 10 minutes late he would have left us with the mess. Probably chunked them in a ditch a few miles down the road or at the next guys farm.
rambo
Posted 8/19/2011 17:46 (#1920118 - in reply to #1919695)

Remsen, Iowa
I see the Murray's have got there bins painted today.
growcorn
Posted 8/19/2011 19:40 (#1920275 - in reply to #1919695)

Ohio
Somebody needs to get a picture of these guys, their crew and vehicles and see how many names the same people are using. They left around here in the last week.
Brandon SWIA
Posted 8/19/2011 23:02 (#1920600 - in reply to #1920065)

I've thought about waiting til the boss man leaves and giving the painter an extra $50 to slap a second coat on.

Brandon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)