AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hair Sheep - what to look for
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 8/16/2011 08:03 (#1914472)
Subject: Hair Sheep - what to look for

Oklahoma
I grew up around commercial dorsets and hamps and trying to make those fit in a show ring. I am by no means sold on the show ring mentality and ethics but the kids enjoy it so I support them. The kids have some friends that raise hair sheep and they have shown them in the open show in the past and are asking for help to practice showing and get the hair sheep included in our fair/stockshows for 4-H and FFA. So we are trying to help them out. The problem is, I don't have a clue what to look for in a hair sheep. To me, hair sheep are meat animals for grazing brush and when I look at their sheep they don't look anything like what I am use to. They are big boned, big framed, deep chested, sway backed, big hips that slope back, and not a lot of meat to them. Any suggestions on what to look for in either a breeding hair or market hair sheep? Any suggestions on where to look for that information?

FWIW, they last two years when they have shown, the county hasn't known what to do with the hair sheep so they lump them in with the crosses. Then the judge always looks funny and puts them at the bottom of the class. I want to be honest with these folks and get them as fair of a opportunity as possible. The university from what I have seen doesn't care since it isn't a goat or traditional show lamb. We do have the hair sheep this year as their own class at the fair, so that should help. There seem to be several breeders in the area that are watching and willing to help get them included.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)