AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To spray or not to spray that is the question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Clay-All-Over
Posted 5/23/2006 23:36 (#14324 - in reply to #13980)
Subject: RE: To spray or not to spray that is the question

Eastern Ontario

Well some might say I'm crazy, but I went ahead and sprayed some fields with glyphosate today. These were the worst fields, where I don't think anything else would take out the weeds. Crop emergence would be between 50 and 75 %. It was a hard call to make and maybe the wrong one. IF the beans make it through, then I'm way ahead of the game. If they don't, well, a replant wouldn't cost much compared to the cost of conventional herbicides which might not work anyway. Put a lot of ruts in the field which didn't sit with me very well, but I'm gonna have to live with it.  I did place a flag where the beans were out and took a picture before I sprayed. Will keep an eye on them in the next few days. If  they make it through, I will post before and after pictures.  

To explain why I went ahead and sprayed:  I went out this morning and checked some fields that I did get sprayed before the beans came up and looked at the end  of the rows, hoping to find some beans that were shallow seeded and that might have been up when I sprayed them. I found some and they really didn't seem sick at all. They were at the 2 leaf stage.

Also Going to try and spray one field with the gramoxone that I got left over from last year, and another with a conventional herbicide.  At least this will give me a better idea of what I should do the next time that I find myself in this situation. 

This might have influenced my decision also:

Glyphosate--------------$ 5  / acre

Gramoxone--------------$ 20/ acre

Conventional Herb.-----$ 40/ acre

Thanks for your input, well appreciated 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)