AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pull type road grader, good & bad?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bozranch
Posted 7/19/2011 14:42 (#1869962)
Subject: Pull type road grader, good & bad?

ne south dakota
Anyone have any experience with pull type road graders? Do the wheels hold the blade or does the blade take over and just push them sideways? What are the different makes of these? Know of Hygrad, any others to look at? Need something heavy duty, Don't need extra work fixing it. Thanks, bozranch
Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldpuller
Posted 7/19/2011 15:17 (#1869998 - in reply to #1869962)
Subject: RE: Pull type road grader, good & bad?

SE SD
Landoll now sells one through its ag division. It comes from their construction division called Icon. Very heavy blade, fill the weight box and the rear wheels hold it quite well. It is a 6 way blade, but I wsh it had side shift. Have used it quite a bit and no troubles so far in 2 years.
bleedred
Posted 7/19/2011 16:21 (#1870068 - in reply to #1869962)

East Central Ia
I have an Artsway. It's amazing what u can do with one of these. Mine needs a bit more weight to keep the wheels in control of the blade. But if you don't try to do to much in one pass its fine.
FONZIE
Posted 7/19/2011 18:30 (#1870251 - in reply to #1869962)
Subject: Re: Pull type road grader, good & bad?

East central SD
Bil Mfg Inc
Hammerback Welding, Inc
108 W 4th Street
Argyle, MN 56713-9165* We bought one from this guy. A little cheaper than the brand names but when looking at the specs there was a slight advantage to the weight and a neighbor has one and likes it really well.
bkandra
Posted 7/19/2011 18:54 (#1870292 - in reply to #1869998)

I have an ICON. I have worn out a set of blades for it, so it has seen some use. It takes practice and patience, but you can move a lot of dirt with one, as long as you just want to move it sideways. If you get in a hurry, the blade will move sideways, but practice makes perfect.
tony2tall
Posted 7/19/2011 20:47 (#1870500 - in reply to #1870251)

North East Arkansas

FONZIE - 7/19/2011 17:30 Bil Mfg Inc Hammerback Welding, Inc 108 W 4th Street Argyle, MN 56713-9165* We bought one from this guy. A little cheaper than the brand names but when looking at the specs there was a slight advantage to the weight and a neighbor has one and likes it really well.

http://www.wiktel.net/bilmfg/custom.htm

(Blade.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Blade.jpg (64KB - 808 downloads)
earp
Posted 7/19/2011 21:20 (#1870564 - in reply to #1870500)

Manila, Ar
http://www.fairoaksmfg.com/products.asp
seedcleaner
Posted 7/19/2011 23:15 (#1870850 - in reply to #1869962)

Mid-Missouri
"Strobel" makes one that looks good. It has more hydraulic options than others and walking tandems in back iirc.
jnlarson
Posted 7/20/2011 09:21 (#1871277 - in reply to #1870850)

NE MT
I have a Hy-Grade. It is well built but a little light in weight for a 14' wide blade.
MMiller
Posted 7/20/2011 10:06 (#1871332 - in reply to #1869962)

SW Iowa
Dad has a Hygrade, and it does the job well. It does not have the steering option, but if I were to buy a new one, it would. Sometimes its pretty hard to roll the dirt into a washout, because you can't get close enough. Yes, you can push the blade sideways if you take too deep of a cut. We put ours behind our MT745 and it handles it very easily. You can fix a lot of ditches or washouts. It makes for a heavy box blade for leveling. It is amazing what it will roll in one pass, after you get the grass or corn stalks drug off.

Michael

radman1
Posted 7/20/2011 21:44 (#1872176 - in reply to #1869962)

I have a ICON/Landoll. Really well built and IMHO, heavier made than Hy-grad. Made by a company that specializes in dirt moving. Hy-grad rates theirs higher for hp, but the ICON is really conservative on the hp rating. Dealer I bought from says they have never had a bent one even with big 4x4s. I do not have side shift and don't feel I need it with 16' wide blade that will cover the duals. Side shift might be useful if grading next to fences, deep ditch or feed bunks. Would keep the tractor further away. Got the cement block for the box at local cement company. they make it with left over cement-$70. If I did it again, I would have had them make the block a foot taller above the box just so I could have and additional 30% more weight. I use mine mostly for filling in washouts and rebuilding terraces.

If you pull at sharp or full angle and only have part of the blade digging in, it will certainly slide the blade over. It will pull full angle without sliding if you have dirt all across the blade. It has fold down wings to make a box blade, but I can't pull the blade full of dirt even with the wings up. I use it with a Magnum 245. The blade can stop the tractor easily if I let it. It needs to be run with the MFWD and rears locked except when turning. You run the blade at a slow pace, the issue is traction more than hp.

http://www.landoll.com/Icon/1632/PDF/1630GraderBoxScraper0111.pdf
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)