AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting evening...cattle and concrete
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/10/2007 16:53 (#160770 - in reply to #160546)
Subject: RE: Interesting evening...cattle and concrete

Driftless SW Wisconsin

great replies - thank you all.

I think if I was a preacher there would be enough material here in this true story for several sermons.

Or maybe sales meetings. A couple things I've learned:

- despite the fact I had swept off the new concrete and was proud as heck of this new watering area (a lot of work), the cattle (my customers?) wanted it THEIR way (dirty and familiar?) rather than my way.

- the essence of making hay, especially first cutting in this mixed grass/clover/alfalfa lush Wisconsin pasture bordering the woods, is that you really can't see what you're getting into, so go slow regardless of how well it seems to going at the time

- no matter how bad I ever plug one of these things again (they are a bear to clean out) at least there was no adult skunk on the cutterbar guards and half way through the rollers! No matter how bad you plug anything, there is always someone who has had it worse...I think remembering that skunk will make it seem not so bad!

- even a heifer can make you laugh when you need it. I just had to laugh at how they sort of sneaked up on me. Made cutting out the rest of the plug not so much work.

I took the first suggestion and spread fresh cut good smelling hay, before coming in for lunch and seeing the other idea of spreading manure on the fresh concrete. I hoping the hay works so I don't need to go to plan M.

Thanks -

Jim at Dawn

PS - it is also to see how tempting it is to leave the engine running etc....please be careful.

My neighbor did finally share his secret that he had in fact plugged this particular moco himself many times and shared the strategic location to put a big pipe wrench to make it a little easier to get going again.

Edited by Jim 6/10/2007 17:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)