AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 2950 clutch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IaAngus
Posted 5/17/2006 18:17 (#12883)
Subject: JD 2950 clutch

Eastern Iowa
I just put a new clutch in my JD 2950. Of course I also put in a new throw out bearing. It is a dry clutch with hydraulic linkage, (a master cylinder on the clutch pedal actuates a slave cylinder on the clutch shaft to move the throw out bearing to dis-engage the clutch) The slave cylinder has a spring inside of it that seems to keep it extended to keep the throw out bearing running against the clutch fingers at all times. Is that how it's suppose to be? I'm also having a hard time getting it bled properly. I have bled it and seem to get all the bubbles out, (hose on bleeder going in to bottle of brake fluid) (keeping reservoir full) Pedal still seems soft. The main problem is that the clutch is not disengaging completely, almost but not quite, I can get it to shift at a very low RPM but the tractor will move forward or backwards a little as I shift from forward to reverse. The slave cylinder at it's relaxed state, no pressure from the pedal, keeps the throw out bearing in contact with the clutch fingers due to the spring inside,(of the slave cylinder). When I operate the clutch pedal the master cylinder sends enough fluid to the slave cylinder to completely extended it to the point the master cylinder will not go to the end of it's stroke. If I crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder loose while clutch pedal is pressed, oil will come out of the bleeder and the pedal and master cylinder will go the full length of it's stroke to the stop. Clear as mud? I may have more than one problem here, I replaced the master cylinder before I realized the throw out bearing was causing my original problems. There is adjustment on the master cylinder linkage, could improper adjustment be causing some of my problems? If you would like me to clarify some thing here let me know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bollpuller
Posted 5/17/2006 20:54 (#12917 - in reply to #12883)
Subject: RE: JD 2950 clutch

Grandfield, Ok.
Is the spring in the slave cylinder? Could the spring be on the wrong side of the slave cylinder piston?
dieseldave
Posted 5/17/2006 21:15 (#12921 - in reply to #12883)

The clutch system on these tractors is a hard one to bleed fully, the only way I have had sucess is to use a squirt can (my name for it but an oiling can) with a piece of clear tubing and fill the system from the bottom this way. But this is of course with Brake Fluid right? Your post said oil, and I hope that is not what you have been using, as a whole nother story will begin.
IaAngus
Posted 5/17/2006 22:04 (#12940 - in reply to #12917)

Eastern Iowa
The spring is inside the slave cylinder and I haven't taken it apart so I think it's on the right side of the piston.
IaAngus
Posted 5/17/2006 22:12 (#12942 - in reply to #12921)

Eastern Iowa
Yes I'm using brake fluid, I replaced either the slave or master cylinder years ago and I remember I had a hard time getting it bled but I don't remember how I finally got it. I hope that is my problem, I don't want to split it again. So you just pumped fluid in the bleeder until the reservoir was full and didn't bleed it the regular way after that?
John e.c.MI
Posted 5/17/2006 22:38 (#12952 - in reply to #12942)

I has a miserable time getting mine bled on a 2555. Finally got it by getting a GOOD squirt can and running a small tube to the bleeder screw, hose clamped the tube to the bleeder, and bled it backwards through the system. I pumped a lot back through that line then finally got a big air bubble come up in the resivor. No problems after that.
HTR
Posted 5/17/2006 23:34 (#12983 - in reply to #12883)

Questions, are you saying that the slave cylinder is fully extended, and the clutch is not fully releasing.? Did you get the later disk that requires some flywheel machining? Does your tractor have the HI LO lock out piston, that is in series with the slave cylinder, and did you bleed it? Did you go through the master cylinder adjustment procedure, and stop bolt? There is a couple ways to do the adjustments, one with air forced through the slave cylinder, and one using a clear tube as a sight glass. They are hard to bleed, if the master cylinder is not properly adjusted.
IaAngus
Posted 5/18/2006 00:17 (#12996 - in reply to #12983)

Eastern Iowa
HTR, you are making me feel like I am in way over my head on what I thought would be a simple clutch job. The parts guys at my JD dealer didn't say anything about my new fly wheel or clutch assy. needing any machine work. If you can tell me more about that I'd like to hear it. My 2950 does have a Hi Lo trans but I don't know anything about a lock out piston in series with the slave cylinder. I have a 1984 model, there are no components between the clutch shaft and the clutch pedal other than the slave and master cylinders and the hose between the two. Lastly I am not familiar with the master cylinder adjustment procedure. If you could explain that I would appreciate it. I know I should have a tech manual for things like this, I just have never gotten around to ordering one. Thanks.
jd mech
Posted 5/18/2006 00:35 (#13000 - in reply to #12996)

the proper way to bleed this system is doing it backwards. put a length of hose on bleeder and open bleeder. put a small funnel on other end of hose and hold above reservoir, fill funnel with fluid and let it back bleed to res. helps to tie funnel to door post.may want to fill funnel a couple of times to make sure all air is out. suck out res if it gets full. they are a sob to bleed.
KelB
Posted 5/18/2006 06:59 (#13018 - in reply to #12883)
Subject: Re: JD 2950 clutch

Ayr Queensland Australia 4807
I never read all the other posts however this is how you do it ,i am sure your machine is like our 3140 tractors external slave cylinder with clutch cross shaft , put a pry bar to push the slave cylinder back in this will purge the air from the elbow on the master cylinder then while holding slight resistance on the slave cylinder pump the master cylinder and push the slave back out , you will find it all fixed
IaAngus
Posted 5/18/2006 12:52 (#13065 - in reply to #12883)
Subject: Interesting discovery

Eastern Iowa
As I tried to explain all my clutch problems yesterday I started to think the whole problem seemed like the rod on the slave cylinder was too short. It's the same rod and same slave cylinder as before the new clutch/ throw out bearing but it was removed and replaced. It is installed correctly I double checked that. This morning I tried a experiment, I but a 5/16 th nut between the slave cylinder and clutch shaft lever to act as a spacer and to simulate a longer rod, There is no adjustment on the slave cylinder. It seems to work perfectly. The spring tension on the clutch itself doesn't seem as stiff as the old one, The old one was very stiff. but it is now disengaging completely. I still don't know where the problem is exactly, I am wondering if there is a replaceable bushing where the slave cylinder rod contacts the clutch shaft lever? I looked on JD parts.com and it doesn't show one. My helper removed the slave cylinder and I am thinking maybe something dropped out of there when he took it off. Any Ideas? The guys at my primary JD dealer are usually pretty helpful but nobody there really seems to be an expert on these Mannheim JD tractors. They usually just say yea there a pain in the ass.
KelB
Posted 5/18/2006 22:24 (#13139 - in reply to #13065)
Subject: Re: JD 2950 clutch

Ayr Queensland Australia 4807
Just bleed it purge the air out seen it plenty of times
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)