AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Arial Imagery?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SC WCIA
Posted 6/4/2007 17:58 (#158312 - in reply to #158259)
Subject: RE: Arial Imagery?

West Central, Iowa
I would be a little hesitant on it. In 2004 we were the test goats for the initial run of opti gro as it is based in Des Moines. They use Near Infrared imagery to make their images to make recs off of. We set up 4,000 acres for them to fly over and then we went out with GPS with their calibrated images to do infield verification. There were huge differences between which direction the rows ran and where the sun sat in the sky. this happened because they would make their images based upon how much light is being absorbed by plant tissue or reflected by bare soil. Anyone knows that at 9 AM rows running east west will have alot of light get through as opposed to north south just due to the angle of the sun. We were standing in parts of the field that according to their pics showed was the worst part of the field, when actually it looked just like the rest, the only difference was the direction of the rows. After a summer of nightmare results they went back to the drawing board and the last two years we have done some testing again, they have equations which they say will offset the row direction and angle of the sun but we still saw some huge differences even with the equations.
I would agree with some of the other statements of hiring someone to do some flyovers, can't quite get exactly level and square but still a good pic that is alot cheaper.

Just my two cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)