AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Melroe 220 Spra-Coupe Issue...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 4/6/2011 22:12 (#1712111)
Subject: Melroe 220 Spra-Coupe Issue...

KY
Hey everyone.. got a dirt cheap deal on a 220 Spra Coupe last month. Knew the owner, he had overheated it the season before and warped the head. Local machine shop put a new VW head on it, everything turns over easily, but is not firing. Thought the electronic ignition box had shot, replaced the box, coil was sparking imtermittently and very very weakly when it would. According to the dealer service manual, it was either the box still, or the electronic sender in the distributor. Bought a distributor rebuild kit, and put in a new coil, nothing. Several days worth of tracing wires and signal, replacing parts, and it tried twice in all that time to spark and cough, but didn't start, and hasn't attempted to spark since. To make a long story short, I know there were Coupes that were not electronic ignition but used a traditional points-type distributor, and I can think of no reason I can't do away with the electronic ignition and use a standard distributor and coil. So, that being said, does anyone have a coupe that has the 1.8 VW motor that uses a traditional point-type distributor, and if so, do you have a part number for that or at least the make and model of your coupe so I can order one from Agco? Need help in the worst way. Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)