AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmall Super A versus A
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IL_BOY
Posted 3/28/2011 22:47 (#1696331)
Subject: Farmall Super A versus A

What are the main differences between an A and a Super A?

Locally, I can buy an A in excellent condition for $2000 or an Super A for $1400 that is in very good condition. Is an A more rare than an Super A?

Does a Super A have hydraulics?

Looking for one to put a belly mower on and just to have around the farm. I have always loved Farmall "letter" tractors.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steiger Man
Posted 3/28/2011 22:50 (#1696341 - in reply to #1696331)
Subject: RE: Farmall Super A versus A

Sunburst Montana

Neither the A or Super A are rare.  I bought a running Super AV (high crop version) for $2,500 with a cultivator.  Mechanically all it has needed so far is a new seal on the front.  Only major difference I can think of is the Super A came with hydrualics and the A didn't.  If both tractors are in equal shape I would definitly go for the Super A. 

Edited by Steiger Man 3/28/2011 23:03
CaseIH2388
Posted 3/28/2011 22:52 (#1696349 - in reply to #1696341)
Subject: RE: Farmall Super A versus A

Strasburg North Dakota
The Super A will fetch at least $1000 to $1200 more than an A in equal condition. I would take that super A in a flash . If you dont want it let me know, I would be very interested

Edited by CaseIH2388 3/28/2011 22:55
65SuperSport
Posted 3/28/2011 23:03 (#1696390 - in reply to #1696331)
Subject: Re: Farmall Super A versus A

Super A has Hydraulics , A does not. Super A should be worth more than an A, even if the A is in better shape. Price of these has gone down with the drop in Tobacco acreage. That said , Woods made a Hand lift mower for the A. I assume they still make it? I forget how many of each were made. Pretty sure there were more Super A's built. Also made 100's, 130's and 2 styles of 140's. Callled the offset styling Cultivision. Just be careful if the left wheel is set in close, lot's of folks killed here with wheel set close on the offset side. Set it out and the tractor is pretty safe. Started out on one over 50 years , used it today to load out a load of corn on an 8 inch auger.!!!!!!!!!!!!
youngdirtfarmer
Posted 3/29/2011 05:02 (#1696686 - in reply to #1696390)

If you buy one and need a mower deck for it. I have one. was used maybe 12 times its like new- 60 inch woods belly deck.
shank
Posted 3/29/2011 09:21 (#1696905 - in reply to #1696686)
Subject: Re: Does Super A have more power?

I thought Super A had waterpump and more power or am I dreaming? I have a hand lift for a belly mower new for ant of those tractors.Would let it go reasonable. Call Loran 402 443 9145 at Nebraska.
65SuperSport
Posted 3/29/2011 09:55 (#1696957 - in reply to #1696905)

Same power, Dad put a Super C governor spring on the A one time, it was noticeably more powerful than the Super A. Super a was available with or without a water pump. No difference in power. Mine has never gotten hot as long as it had enough water in it. Dad had his choice when he bought it in 1955, chose the one without pump, less to go bad. 100's had a little bigger motor,I think. I can't believe what we did with those little tractors. Pulled a 12a John Deere with the A, man sacking would get off and ride the front end when they went up a steep hill. Bought the combine to harvest Fescue seed,paid for the combine first year and then the price of fescue seed went in the pits, oh well.
retento
Posted 3/29/2011 11:30 (#1697088 - in reply to #1696957)

Eastern North Carolina
1954 model had the water pump, tall radiator, tall grill like the Super C. They were stamped Super A-1. It was sort of a go between the standard Super A and the 1955 Farmall 100. More about the last Super A's.....

The Super A-1 is a cross-over between the Letter Series and 100 Series tractors. It is made of parts from three different tractors. The undercarriage and drive train are the same as a 100, with all having the "Z" casting date and an FCM (123 ci) engine. The radiator, with water pump -- which the Super A does not have, is from a Super C. The sheet metal is from a Super A. The noticeable difference between the Super A and A-1 is the distance between the fuel tank and the hydrualic reservoir... the Super A has about a 3/4" space between the two, while the A-1 has about a 2" space. This is due to the taller radiator and grill, and the need to raise the fuel tank to keep the 'body lines' on the same level. From what I have been able to gather, the Super A-1 is a rare find. Some folks I have talked to, who have been involved with the IH letter series for a number (more than 40 years) have never seen one. Supposedly, the McCormick Farmall folks were trying to rush the 100 series to the farmers to compete with some other tractor manufacturers and didn't quite have the 100 series tractor complete in 1954, so they 'fashioned' the A-1 to get it out faster. As well, there may have been less a desire on the part of farmers to accept the 'new' 100 series tractor, since it still sported the Super A decals, and were very reluctant to buy the A-1. From what I know, the completed 100 was first sold in the latter part of 1954 (about 1200 tractors) thru 1956. As a result of slow sales of the A-1 in 1954, it has been suggested by some folks in IH circles, that the vast majority of the approximately 1957 A-1s produced were shipped / sold overseas (Australia, New Zealand, South America, Europe). With all that said, there may have been less than 200 A-1s that saw action in the USA. Again, I don't have factual / first-hand proof of what all I am saying, but I have spoken with IH collectors and enthusiasts, and that is what they say. I do have an A-1 and am near completion of restoring the tractor. I have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of folks and I know of only 7 A-1s that exist, for sure. I believe there are plenty others, but folks don't know what they have, because they don't know -- what they don't know. If anyone is looking for an A-1, I believe the best bets are wherever tobacco was raised during that period (KY, TN, NC, VA, SC). I got one of those last Super A-1's myself...!!

Edited by retento 3/29/2011 11:33
65SuperSport
Posted 3/29/2011 23:46 (#1698266 - in reply to #1697088)

What you are saying is true,then Dad passed up an A-1 when he bought ours. There were two on the lot a the IH dealer in Danville,Ky. One had a water pump and one did not. The 100's were already on the lot and Dad got a good deal. Might have helped that his father-in-law was the Chief Mechanic at the time. LOL. It is still here on the farm waiting for the 5th generation to get big enough to climb up in the seat and drive it .
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)