AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on Culler's beans
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/6/2011 11:43 (#1653621)
Subject: Question on Culler's beans

Chebanse, IL.....

Did he use RR1 or RR2 beans, or neither, for his 2010 record yields?

Was there more than 1 plot & more than 1 variety under his name?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
j doc
Posted 3/6/2011 12:37 (#1653719 - in reply to #1653621)
Subject: RE: Question on Culler's beans

Michigan

They would be RR1 beans.

From the link below:

We applaud Kip on demonstrating the yield potential of today's elite soybean varieties," said Paul E. Schickler, president – Pioneer Hi-Bred, a DuPont business.
   "We're especially proud that Kip used a high-yielding Y Series soybean variety from Pioneer. His achievement shows how genetics and crop management play a role in higher yields."

http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/society/most_bushels_of_soybeans_per_acre_of_yield_Kip_Cullers_sets_world_record_101927.html

Ed Winkle
Posted 3/6/2011 13:31 (#1653841 - in reply to #1653719)
Subject: Re: Question on Culler's beans

Martinsville, Ohio
Dockery, you are good.

Ed
Mlebrun
Posted 3/6/2011 13:43 (#1653863 - in reply to #1653841)

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Pioneer doens't have the RR2Y technology.
I would think he would be testing them though in his plots??
mcupps
Posted 3/6/2011 13:57 (#1653889 - in reply to #1653863)

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
I don't know, im leaning toward not, why try other brands and risk the chance of them winning???? Thats just biteing off the hand that feeds you!
Posted 3/6/2011 14:04 (#1653901 - in reply to #1653889)

Then he will have a new hand to feed him.
j doc
Posted 3/6/2011 14:46 (#1653973 - in reply to #1653841)
Subject: Hey Ed

Michigan

What did I do wrong now?

Just a simple Google search - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=kip+cullers+soybeans+2010&rlz=1W1SUNA_en&aq=1b&aqi=g1g-b1&aql=&oq=kip+cullers+2010

Question for you on soybean inoculants - How do you rank what is out in the market place now? Nitrastik S vs. ABI sterile peat - Cell Tech vs. ABI's Liquid - Graph-Ex vs Peat.

There are just too many to offer all.  We have been offering Nitrastick S and HiStick along with Cell Tech liquid and Optimize as a conditioned treatment - am I missing out by not offering Graph-Ex or some of the ABI products?

garvo
Posted 3/6/2011 14:47 (#1653975 - in reply to #1653621)

western iowa,by Denison
does Kip follow his manure management plan,would his soil levels of p&k be off the charts?
Jon S
Posted 3/6/2011 15:08 (#1654011 - in reply to #1653975)

Of course.

He was very tight lipped about soil fertility levels when I asked him about that at a Pioneer sponsored meeting that I attended. I think I already knew the answer, but wanted to see what his response would be. I can't say I blame him for not commenting. It's best to keep that kind of information out of reach of the people of the world that prefers we grow their food on subsoil.

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/6/2011 15:33 (#1654058 - in reply to #1653973)
Subject: RE: Hey Ed

northeastern Ohio

jdoc,

One comparision is the number of rhizobia per gram.  Here is how they stack up:

Nitrastik-s:  250 million per gram

ABM non-sterile humus:  1 billion per gram

ABM Sterile peat:  3 billion per gram

Graph-Ex:  5 billion per gram

Celltech:  2 billion per mL

ABI Liquid:  2 billion per mL

The other big difference is in the strains of rhizobia.  Celltech and Nitrastik-S use two strains.  The ABM products use 3 strains.  Each strain has it's strengths and will work in certain areas and certain management practices.  Each farmer needs to evaluate which strains (or combination of strains) will work on his farm. 

SDFarmboy
Posted 3/6/2011 15:40 (#1654072 - in reply to #1654011)

I have heard Kip speak at a Pioneer event. He uses a lot of chicken litter, and I'm thinking the nutrients are quite adequate on some of this land.
He uses frequent and careful use of irrigation.
And one of the farm magazines recently had the article of his early use of Cobra to shorten the internodes, to make them work harder, and to not get too tall.
Ed Winkle
Posted 3/6/2011 16:18 (#1654133 - in reply to #1653973)

Martinsville, Ohio
I really thought you did good! It was a compliment.

Gee people have made others so touchy around here!

I rank them all better than nothing at all and now so many seedsmen will put them right on the seed for you before delivery! Cheaper and better than I can do it, too.

You know what I like and I think anyone who has used any of those probably like them better than nothing.

The best? Proven on YOUR farm.

Jay goes for cell count numbers, I go for the the strains that I think give the highest yield increase but that is so hard to prove. Cell count numbers are laboratory.

If a good company hasn't found you, find them. Brad Tucker from ABM would be a good one for you to work with in Michigan. I like his methodology.

http://treatyourbeans.com/salesRep.php

Ed
earp
Posted 3/6/2011 16:19 (#1654138 - in reply to #1654072)

Manila, Ar
good cultural practices +poultry manure+ growth regulator = HIGHER YIELDS.......... :)
GrainTrader
Posted 3/6/2011 20:06 (#1654618 - in reply to #1654138)

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
It would be interesting to see how many people this year try using cobra on there beans and do it at the wrong time or rate and smoke a lot of beans off this year. Kip may be a master market influencer. Hoping to drop the national yield secretly! Ha ha. U never know who's trying to get rich off of others easily influenced minds!
SDFarmboy
Posted 3/6/2011 21:17 (#1654849 - in reply to #1654618)

Trader:
You are correct in your thoughts about adding Cobra. Kip has the luxury of irrigation, to help those beans that got the business. I recall some talk from 10-15
yrs. ago of some adding just a small amount of 24,D to the conv. beans, and that helped increase the yield. I suppose a survey here would bring some forward that have knowledge, I do not. There are some here who know how that works, give the soybean plant some stress, and it will try harder and do better.
What is important here would be the timing, the rate and all the rest.

When Kip was using Cobra at the early stage, it was not for white mold suppression, I am thinking but as a growth regulator.
Also, row width, works into this equation, and that is another discussion where wider is better with sclerotinia.

I suppose this could evolve into another thread ??
steveMIfarmer
Posted 3/6/2011 22:21 (#1655054 - in reply to #1654072)

West Michigan
No way we could put that amount of manure on here. Maybe MO doesn't have those rules in place. I am suprised that he has not been under the microscope about that. Don't think sierra club would think he has a good fert program.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/7/2011 06:33 (#1655437 - in reply to #1653901)

Chebanse, IL.....

OK...I forgot about the PHI beans not being RR2. So, the concencus is he would get higher yields yet just by switching to RR2. I think I've read that in other threads here. So, why wouldn't he do that? What's with this sponsorship thing? Are guys like him not true competitors? So he gets a free bag of seed from PHI, I'm sure his local Asgrow or Stine (!!) dealer could "comp" him 10 bags of seed for a plot. Then we'd know for sure what the best beans are to plant for 160+ yield goals.

I remember when Francis got that whole slew of new IH stuff to use instead of his older stuff....but then it was taken back I recall. Wasn't he PHI also?

scottj
Posted 3/7/2011 08:28 (#1655571 - in reply to #1655437)

eastern ontario
So you think the consensus is that Monsanto beans yield more tha Pioneer's? or put differently, that RR2 yield more than RR1?

Not sure about that one
B in MN
Posted 3/7/2011 09:28 (#1655701 - in reply to #1653621)

Do I remember reading somewhere that he grows alot more corn than sb. Like only only 500 acres of soybeans and more than 5000 acres of corn?
FromtheFlats
Posted 3/7/2011 10:06 (#1655790 - in reply to #1653621)

EC IL
RR2 does not mean they yield more than RR1 Monsanto has proved that
Mlebrun
Posted 3/7/2011 18:00 (#1656372 - in reply to #1655571)

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Not sure about cullers maturities and how the RR2s yield "there" .I know "here" the early RR2's are better than the RR1's....... sales are 90 % vs 10%
mcupps
Posted 3/7/2011 20:28 (#1656667 - in reply to #1653901)

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
But a John Deere Pioneer man doesn't want to eat out of the other hand, at least I wouldn't want to downgrade if I was a John Deere Pioneer man!! Plus, it would be fairly hard to find a hand that feeds better than the green pretzel
HuskerAgronomist
Posted 3/8/2011 15:17 (#1658158 - in reply to #1655701)

Iowa
he farms around 12000 acres, 10000 of which is Corn the rest is soybeans and vegetables. He wanted to get 500 bu corn and "accidentally" broke the soybean record.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)