AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric fence wire question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/8/2007 16:20 (#147927 - in reply to #147703)
Subject: RE: Electric fence wire question

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I'd go with the hi tensile 12.5ga wire. You HAVE to have a reel of some sort to unroll it, unless it comes on a wooden reel. Stiff nasty stuff to work with, but once you get it figured out and in place it works like a charm.

I try and run a hot wire on the inside of any barbed fence. Sometimes I just put an insulator on every tee post and wooden post (I generally put a RR tie every 4th post or 40-50') and stick the electric wire between two strands of barbed. Never had any trouble with that, but the fence is all new, straight and tight. I've also just ran the hot wire through some of that insulated tubing on the backside of the RR ties. Then it is only supported every 40-50', but it is the width of the RR tie away from the barbed wire, so a little slack is no problem.

The lane should be no problem. I use the white poly for temp fences and to divide pastures up, and I routinely have narrower lanes than that. It is never a problem, but my cow are fairly tame as well. They are used to the fence and stay the hell away from it, they know it bites. I fenced of a little rock ridge by the house this spring with one strand of the polywire knee high, and never had a cow out.

Oh ya, buy good insulators. #1 problem with that stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)