AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feels like the 1st time
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Kamp
Posted 4/29/2007 20:05 (#144237)
Subject: Feels like the 1st time

Central SD

The LanceM thread below has stirred things up a bit on this forum. I don't know if this is Lance's 1st GPS system or not.  I can understand the euphoria he is experiencing.  And I can relate to DG's skepticism of WAAS being adequate to plant with. 

I believe DG said he started GPS in 1996, so did I. Ever since the 1st time I sprayed using the lightbar, I was hooked.  I was never able to drive by a field and be proud of my sprayer tracks until GPS came along.  And that was only sub-meter correction with me manually steering.  With autosteer taking me completely out of the process, my tracks are perfect, except where I turn around.:)  When you've grown with GPS in the last decade like DG probably has, you learn what works.  Some by what you hear or read, and some with experience through your pocket book.  

I am now on my 3rd GPS "system" - it is what Lance would call "high $$$ rig" - but to me it is cheaper than the last autosteer I bought, because it does what I want it to do.  I am not out in the field burning fuel, and 40-50 tach hours (yeah, I fiddled with it quite a bit) on a leased sprayer trying to make my WAAS-based system repeat in previous tracks.  I could care less if somebody has rows straighter than me for less money.  I made a decision based on the information and value I saw in the sytem when I purchased it.  I'm not going to wait around for some "rumor" of a new technology to come along.  Maybe it was said below, it isn't about winners and losers.  If it works for you - you win.  If I could afford it before it got cheaper, I'm going to have to still afford it after. 

I hope all the new posters here, including Lance, stick around, keeps things fresh.  As well as veterans like DG, their expertise is very valuable.

What are your GPS roots? What did you start with? What have you moved to.

I started with a 1)Trimble 132 - Omnistar correction, then Beacon and WAAS, added Ipaq to cover log. 2)Raven 210 Smarttrax -WAAS.
3)StarfireITC - SF2.

Edited by Kamp 4/30/2007 00:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)