AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are Morton buildings worth the premium
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tomcat
Posted 1/24/2011 17:07 (#1569853)
Subject: Are Morton buildings worth the premium

Ludington/Manistee MI area
Looking at a new machine shed 3500 to 4000 square feet the Morton rep stopped out talked are they worth the extra money? He talked a good talk but are they worth the extra money?? Lot of good point behind a M building.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
il weedman
Posted 1/24/2011 17:19 (#1569876 - in reply to #1569853)
Subject: RE: Are Morton buildings worth the premium

St. Charles, MO & Piper City, IL

To me they are. After my past experience with them in my life I would never build another shed or a house for that matter that wasn't a Morton.

Illini Fan
Posted 1/24/2011 17:23 (#1569884 - in reply to #1569853)
Subject: Re: Are Morton buildings worth the premium

Greene County, Illinois
<p>Yes.  Cousin had one that got hit by hail.  The adjuster came out and determined that the dimples would pop back out with no damage.  Morton representative came out with some type of meter that looked at the dimples and determined the dimples would pop back out, but some of the paint would come off eventually.  It was enough proof that the insurance company accepted Morton's finding and paid to re-skin the entire shed.</p>

Edited by Illini Fan 1/24/2011 17:27
Lookingglass
Posted 1/24/2011 17:27 (#1569894 - in reply to #1569853)

Southwest Illinois
Good product. Probably depends on what your use is and what you expect in appearance if you will be happy with the price. To me with the money involved and the quality of todays lumber I will never put poles in the ground again. Who wants to spend 50 or 100K on a building that may need posts replaced in 20 years? I don't care if they do replace them free.
trakman
Posted 1/24/2011 17:27 (#1569895 - in reply to #1569853)

Central Kansas
I think they are.........I replaced a 30 year old Morton building that was destroyed in a Tornado with a larger, new and improved Morton and I really like it. Much more rafter clearance with the new style.

Edited by trakman 1/24/2011 17:28

(098.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 098.jpg (58KB - 633 downloads)
Delmarva Ag
Posted 1/24/2011 17:29 (#1569900 - in reply to #1569853)

Seaford, Delaware
Depends entirely on the crew putting them up! I have been pricing a Morton 60'x120'x16' for a couple of months. I have also priced quite a few other companies in the area which come in quite a bit cheaper but by the time you add in the extras like overhang, wainscoting, better doors, etc. they are all within a couple grand of each other. I think the warranty is worth the extra money but I still have not made up my mind as of yet.

Alan
hillrunner
Posted 1/24/2011 17:31 (#1569905 - in reply to #1569895)

It is the Morton reps job to make his building sound superior. The truth is that Morton has a good building, but so do a lot of other suppliers, often at a much cheaper price. The erector is much more important than the brand stamped on the building.
trakman
Posted 1/24/2011 17:37 (#1569918 - in reply to #1569900)

Central Kansas
Delmarva Ag - 1/24/2011 16:29

Depends entirely on the crew putting them up! I have been pricing a Morton 60'x120'x16' for a couple of months. I have also priced quite a few other companies in the area which come in quite a bit cheaper but by the time you add in the extras like overhang, wainscoting, better doors, etc. they are all within a couple grand of each other. I think the warranty is worth the extra money but I still have not made up my mind as of yet.

Alan

My building pictured is exactly the same size you are looking at. Only thing I would have done different is make it 66ft wide so any folded up equipment placed near a door would not stick out in the 30 ft doorway.
coxbill
Posted 1/24/2011 18:01 (#1569959 - in reply to #1569853)

Huntley, Wyoming
Agree with Lookingglass, not put poles in the ground - go with steel. I personally like Olympia Steel buildings as their steel is galvanized.

Steel also the way to go to have clear span building.
bwire
Posted 1/24/2011 18:03 (#1569966 - in reply to #1569918)

Rock County, MN
Glad you mentioned that about clear span, it settles a puzzler I'm thinking on.
thumb farmer
Posted 1/24/2011 18:14 (#1569984 - in reply to #1569853)

Port Austin Mi.
If I were you I'd check out walters buildings. There alot like morton but I liked some of their features better.

Jerry
NEILFarmer
Posted 1/24/2011 18:33 (#1570020 - in reply to #1569984)

Morris, IL
I am also a morton man, own 1 and rented 2 others. One of them was 30 some years old, still a nice building. I would sure price the others, morton was cheaper than wick and lester 4 years ago.
beh
Posted 1/24/2011 18:49 (#1570052 - in reply to #1569900)

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
Alan--If I could encourage one thing on your purchase it would be this: Go taller. I would suggest 20' but would not go any less than 18'. I have not gotten serious enough to price but I will go TALL. PITA to have to duck when you are working on top of a combine or something else tall.
toolman
Posted 1/24/2011 19:20 (#1570131 - in reply to #1569853)

IL
I am very happy with Morton Buildings. We replaced two machine sheds in 1981 after a tornado took them both. One replacement was a Morton and the other an Astro building because it was built on the concrete of the previous building and had the same pole spacings of the old shed.

Back when they were built I thought the Astro was a better built building based on the bracing, etc. but looking at the buildings now I was wrong. The Astro doors are hard rolling POS and we had to repaint the roof a few years ago and the building is showing it's age. Outside of Morton replacing a few poles free of charge we have done nothing to their building and it looks good for it's age. You may not see the difference looking at new buildings but you will in a few years!
Mule 1
Posted 1/24/2011 19:40 (#1570176 - in reply to #1570131)

Mid-Michigan
Have built 4 Morton buildings. Three sheds and a shop. Oldest one is 30 years old and looks as good as the new one that is 2 years old. They replaced the roof on one because the paint was coming off and it was ten years old. No charge to me at all. Might be others just as good too good luck with whatever you chose.
RICK NCMD
Posted 1/24/2011 20:36 (#1570362 - in reply to #1569853)

I have two Morton machine sheds that the paint is flaking away from the joints on the roofs. Every sheet has lost a 1 inch strip of paint at each lap. Morton rep came and took a look at the problem, basically said, you are not the original buyer of the building to bad. He stood there and admitted that they had severe problems with their paint system in the mid to late 80s. I said thats just fantastic, I get stuck with the cost of washing and repainting a roof that a rep of the company admitts that they have a problem with during the manufacturing process. If you pay for a quality building and they weasle out of the warranty, why pay for the name????? As far as I'm concerned Morton can get lost, and none to soon.
rforro
Posted 1/24/2011 20:40 (#1570387 - in reply to #1569853)

Romeo, MI
Have one morton that is about 35 yrs. old. Only thing that has been done to it is put new gutters on it. They were steel gutters and they rusted through. I'd check to see if they use aluminum now.
bat
Posted 1/24/2011 21:11 (#1570513 - in reply to #1570387)

I put up a morton building this spring,60-120. I was real happy with their crew. Each one had their own job to do,no complaining, arguing, or bad language. They did an excellent job. They also put a 37 ft sliding door in the side which some companies did not offer. This is the 3rd morton ,no complaints on any of them. I would encourage you yo take a tour of the plant. I shop around and they are very competitive on price. I made an offer which was several thousand less than what they quoted and they took the offer. Also very good warranty.
farmer2424
Posted 1/24/2011 21:22 (#1570542 - in reply to #1569853)

southeast nebraska
I am going to build a shed at my house which is off site of where my farm shop is to store my toys in, boat, rv, snowmobiles, ect. So this is not going to be a farm shop so I don't want to hear all the comments on to make it taller to fit a combine in because farm equipment will not be allowed in it. (I enjoy getting away from the farm shop and want no projects sitting in my back yard) anyhow I have priced cleary, wick, and Morton. The shed I am go to build is 42x80x15 wainscoting, insulated, and tin lined on inside. Also electric overhead door. The wick I ruled out because the builder locally has been getting a bad rap from some other previous customers. The difference between the Morton and the cleary is $18400. The Morton rep talks a good show but to me it's not worth 18k more for tin and 2x4's. Just my opinion
dmh
Posted 1/24/2011 21:39 (#1570599 - in reply to #1570542)

Trivoli, Illinois
farmer2424 then tin and 2x4 maybe the same,truthfully the tin is different. Try the sliding doors, my experience was Mortons doors are the best. Also ask about the crew you will get, ages,experience,how long on this job. The crew will make or break it. I would pay more for a Morton.
drillbitsmith
Posted 1/24/2011 21:49 (#1570620 - in reply to #1569853)

Anybody check out a Miracle span building .30 years ago the neighbors all got together & put one up in a week. Its still standing. Cheaper or more expensive than a Morton?

drillbitsmith
Posted 1/24/2011 21:52 (#1570633 - in reply to #1569853)

Anybody check out a Miracle span building .30 years ago the neighbors all got together & put one up in a week. Its still standing. Cheaper or more expensive than a Morton?

farmer2424
Posted 1/24/2011 21:54 (#1570642 - in reply to #1570599)

southeast nebraska
Yeah I know the tin is .019 on the Morton and .016 everything else is that worth $18000? Sliding doors are not an issue as I will have none and both cleary and Morton are pricing me the exact same overhead door. I asked and the crew that will be putting the cleary up has been with the company for 18 years. So what else would justify the 18 grand? I do like a few little things that Morton offers in their construction but I am having a hard time talking myself into their high priced building.
drillbitsmith
Posted 1/24/2011 21:54 (#1570643 - in reply to #1569853)

JoshuaGA
Posted 1/24/2011 22:01 (#1570667 - in reply to #1569853)

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
In my mind, any wood building is not worth a premium next to a steel building. I don't live in a snow load area, but to say steel buildings is all there is here is an understatment, not many wood farm shelters built anymore, steel is nice. $60000 built a 50'x100'x18' high at the eaves, plus a 40'x100' leanto on the south side.

(104_0005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 104_0005.jpg (37KB - 638 downloads)
D_RO_SE
Posted 1/24/2011 22:06 (#1570684 - in reply to #1570667)

SD
I wouldnt put anything up other then a steel one. I had a wood one and a steel one put up about the same time, and guess which one fell in first? Wood one...
Mike G
Posted 1/24/2011 22:16 (#1570713 - in reply to #1569853)

pricing buildings right now, 12,160 square feet, Morton $37,982 more than a local lumber yard, Morton poles 9 feet on center, local 4 feet on center, same with truss', I realize there is some difference in engineering but not that much, buildings are specked out exactly the same, seems like a no brainer to me
diceman
Posted 1/24/2011 22:23 (#1570732 - in reply to #1570684)

Iowa
as far as not putting a Morton up because of not wanting to put poles in the ground, you have other options like put it on a footing like you would a steel building, put concrete lower columns in, or put on a floating slab with a reinforced thickened edge. I myself feel that Morton is the cadilac, and you get what you pay for. I am a Morton owner so I probably am a bit biass but I feel you get what pay for. I feel when purchasing a building that is going to sit on you farm for the rest of your farming career, do it right. TMHO
98indy500
Posted 1/24/2011 22:32 (#1570763 - in reply to #1569895)

Dallas, South Dakota
Im a builder and in my opinion you should have Morton come back and install some knee bracing from the rafters down to the pole. Its no wonder you lost a building if they built the 1st one this way. Im also not seeing any wind bracing in the rafters other than the catwalk on the bottom chord and thats not nearly enough. Just my 2c.
Rodney R
Posted 1/24/2011 22:38 (#1570780 - in reply to #1569853)

SE PA
We have 5 Morton's. Oldest one was put up in the 80's. It had the peeling paint. They repainted the roof. It didn't last. About 3 months before the roof warranty expired they installed a 100% new roof. This was a 60x80, and in 6 hours the crew had the old roof off and in the dumpster, the new roof was on, and they were going out the driveway. We had a big debate whether the warranty was worth any extra $$$ and right there it was. The last several buildings we priced were not far apart in price at all.

Rodney
Rodney R
Posted 1/24/2011 22:43 (#1570802 - in reply to #1570763)

SE PA
You sound like the insurance guy...... Siad they were going to drop us if we did not put the 'knee braces' on the posts.... Had we done that it would hve made our buildings nearly useless for what we do. Told the insurance co. that if they knew better than Morton (when Morton still had heir own insurance co.) then maybe Morton would like to hire an expert like that. We soon got a letter from the insurance co that we did not need knee braces, and the building was just fine.

Rodney
Luckyfarmer
Posted 1/24/2011 23:33 (#1570940 - in reply to #1570542)

Central South Dakota
Is the snow load different between the two buildings. I know that was some of the difference when we priced those buildings, the morton had a heavier snow load. We went with morton put a 60' x 120' x 18' up in 9 days dirt floor machine shed. Would have been done in 7 but the wind blew too hard to put roof tin on for two days. Even showed up on sunday to catch up because they lost a 2 days with the wind. The crew and their experience can really make or break these deals IMHO.
northern
Posted 1/25/2011 00:05 (#1571013 - in reply to #1570362)

What warranty did they weasle out of. You never bought a paint warranty. Thimk before you buy.
northern
Posted 1/25/2011 00:06 (#1571017 - in reply to #1570684)

Was the wood building built at the same snow load as the steel building?
northern
Posted 1/25/2011 00:10 (#1571026 - in reply to #1570642)

Are you sure you are pricng out the same. Here in ND, i priced a Cleary and a morton and the Cleary was more. Not at first, however after i had Cleary correctly price with 6' deep footings with redi-mix, 60 lb snow load, Kynar paint, the thicker steel and Stainless Steel screws, they were a lot more and still no clear cut snow warranty.
northern
Posted 1/25/2011 00:12 (#1571032 - in reply to #1570763)

Are you saying knee braces will keep my pole building up in a tornado. WRONG, my cousins building had knee braces and it went down in a tornado. Just because you are a buildier dosen't make you an engineer.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/25/2011 00:39 (#1571081 - in reply to #1570763)

Some buildings won't stand without knee braces, some do quite well. The difference is in the attachment of the truss to the posts. Some that stand well without braces have a heel on the truss that's a foot or two tall nestled into a slot in the posts and anchored with 1/2" or 3/4" bolts. Some that need braces use a truss heel that's a single 2x6 high and attach it to the posts with 20p spikes while it sets on a nailed on ledge. Braces might not be enough for that construction.

Gerald J.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/25/2011 00:44 (#1571088 - in reply to #1570940)
Subject: Re: Cleary tends to quote a snow load structure for southern Arkansas to be cheap.

Cleary tends to quote a snow load structure for southern Arkansas to be cheap. When you push them to a realistic snow load for Iowa and north their price goes up rapidly.

And many vendors quote an eave height instead the height you want the door to clear because that quote is cheaper, then the door comes in 2 feet shorter than you need.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. 1/25/2011 00:46
RICK NCMD
Posted 1/25/2011 06:02 (#1571167 - in reply to #1571013)

Wasnt any thinking to do, the buildings were already there when I purchased the farm. I am just trying to make people aware that just because its a Morton building, it really doesnt add any value to the farmstead. I never asked the rep about the snow load warranty, so I can only assume that is null and void also because I was not the original purchaser. They represent the warranty like its the best thing in the pole building construction industry when they are pedaling a new building. The buildings were 5 years old when I purchased the farm and the paint issue was starting then and Morton was first contacted two weeks after the purchase of the farm.
duramaximizer
Posted 1/25/2011 07:45 (#1571237 - in reply to #1570713)

Mike do your homework. There are a lot of differences. Our 42-60 Morton farm shop has been up for close to 30 years and at the rate it's going, it should be there for another 30 and it doesn't look much different than it did when they put it up. They did warranty the roof on it a couple years ago, so that should be good to go.
D&K Farms
Posted 1/25/2011 09:51 (#1571477 - in reply to #1571088)

Northwest Iowa
I put up a 60 x 180 cleary 2 years ago and it will be my last cleary. I am going to put up a new shop next year and it will probably be stick built but it won't be a cleary.
98indy500
Posted 1/25/2011 14:04 (#1571952 - in reply to #1570763)

Dallas, South Dakota
All that I am saying is that why not make a building as strong as it possibly can be?
northern
Posted 1/28/2011 21:59 (#1578755 - in reply to #1570713)

There is no way it was speced out the same. If so, than I know the Morton would be less.
My guess is that the lumber yard is using sacrete footings 4' in the ground. They are using poly paint on 29 gauge steel. Knee braces, smaller trusses, subcontracted crews and no warranty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)