AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zoning Laws
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 4/17/2007 23:13 (#138604 - in reply to #138572)
Subject: Re: Zoning Laws

In Nebraska larger cities like around 20-25K have 2 mile jurisdiction of zoning. Sometimes they used to call it squared off,other times they drew a big 'circle' around the city to determine which way they wanted it. They can control ALOT of stuf in their zoning zone. And can change it to meet their whims. They even said grandfather clauses expired after some time. This was on OTHER stuff than agriculture,,,they wanted those properties OUT and they got it done. You can bet they wont blink an eye at closing down a 'hog' barn as they can think of a thousand ways to do it,,,health wise or otherwise. grandfathered or not,they will make rules that will make your life a living hell. My suggestion is to buy some more property further out to make your future buildings. You may have a over size garage on your hands quicker than you think with what you have. make sure all the setbacks from neighbors are met too. Here neighbors are fighting neighbors about permits and they BOTH raise hogs,,,believe it or not!!! I believe the no-smell type new barns are the way to go,,,makes for good neighbors AND healthful pigs and humans. Think an oil is sprayed over the barn every day to control dust,,,and oil or something poured in pit every day to control smell and flies.

I went to the meeting when they started zoning,,,was me and another guy who saw what they were going to do,,,they said no worrys,work with us we will not inflict pain. It has been ALL pain since. The cities has changed their zoning and called it an update,,,so if you bought your property under one zoning,then lost it to the updated plan,,,tough noogies. Zoning is a good idea,it just never turns out to YOUR favor,just the cities wishes(and counties)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)