AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When will I know when my pig(s) are in heat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

gleanerman
Posted 12/23/2010 10:11 (#1502431)
Subject: When will I know when my pig(s) are in heat?

NE Indiana
Im not really new to raising hogs as I have been doing it for three years now. I raise my pigs for private sale and any that I have left over I take to the salebarn to get them sold and I have to say that some far even the salebarn pigs have been profitable or maybe I charge enough for the others that it offsets the loss at the sale barn.

For the last three years though I have went to the sale barn to get my feeder pigs and this year I had one that I thought was a little runty so she grew alittle slower and was one of the last ones in the group that I thought I was going to get rid of. All summer my brother/partner and I had kicked around the idea of brooding for our pigs and save the lost/wasted time at the salebarn. So now I have a Hampshire to get bred in January and Im thinking of going to the salebarn next week to get one more brood sow. And having that said I am also new to the brooding of pigs and have some questions that hopefully some of you might be able to answer for me.

How do you know when your sow is in heat? I plan on A I ing them as I have no interest owning a boar.

How important ferrowing crates in todays brooding operation? As of now I only have one sow and not sure if I can get another for the money I am wanting to spend. May have to save one out of my current sow for next year so that I can have my two brooders.

And last I have heard that the piglest need some place to go to get protection if they feel threatened and was wondering I could just designate a corner of the pen and make it out of left over paneling?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by gleanerman 12/23/2010 11:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)