AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ok, Chickens ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mike in sw mn
Posted 4/13/2007 14:21 (#136022 - in reply to #135848)
Subject: Re: Ok, Chickens ???

Walnut Grove MN USA
I have been raising cornish cross broilers for a few years now. First I have to say they have to be in the top ten of the dumbest critters alive. Butcher at 8-9 weeks. Should give you a 5lb dressed rooster and about 4lb dressed hen. take about 25 lbs feed, half starter, half grower. After first 7 days DO NOT LET THEM HAVE FEED AT NIGHT!!! Take it away for at least 12 hours everyday until butcher time. They have a problem with heart attack and bad legs and taking the feed away helps it some. That being said I don't always take it away because once they settle down at night they won't eat anyway, in fact they won't move at all, perfect target for cats, dogs, coons, skunks, etc. They would rather die than move. I once lost 40 because it started raining in the middle of the night and they wouldn't go in the shelter, which was right beside them. They piled up and suffocated. I once loaded up at night and missed a couple so Mom took them and they lived less than six months, got so fat they couldn't jump an inch, and of all things laid a brown egg.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)