AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

growing 100 bushel wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 12/6/2010 20:48 (#1471768 - in reply to #1469619)
Subject: Re: growing 100 bushel wheat

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
One thing I found kind of neat when I was in oregon and washington was the length and size of the seed heads on there 120-150 bushel wheat, I grow grass seed and have always tryed to limit my total plants per square foot because the less plants you have, the more inflorencence you have per fertile tiller, plus, if you have too many tillers per foot, they will produce small heads and with light seed. I guess I never took my grass seed managment basics and applied it to wheat, Before, if I had a bad stand in the fall, I would basically give up on it and plan on growing 50 bushel wheat the next year. But now Im convinced that as long as I can have a fair stand going into the spring and keep those heads heathy durning flowering, I can grow better wheat with a better test weight than I did when I had 100 tillers a square foot that each ended up having little heads and small seeds even though I gave it all the spring N it needed at proper times. Wheat is more like corn than people give it credit for, too high of a population makes little heads, just like little ears and test weight and total yield is what suffers not to mention problems like incomplete pollination and lodging.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)