AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far can I run water line?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 11/2/2010 00:56 (#1418211 - in reply to #1418151)
Subject: RE: How far can I run water line?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Thats no problem. Been helping on a stock water project going almost 4 miles from the well, climbs about 75 feet then drops several hundred, no problem with pressure... ;) Feeds several water troughs off of one deep well, 450' to pump.

What you want to do is make sure you keep the velocity under a max of 5 feet per second, 4 is better. But still the longer the run the more friction loss there is. Easiest way to over come that is bigger pipe. There are some great calculators on the web to figure that all out, this is the one I use. I'll link to the one for Sch 40 PVC, but they have ones for larger irrigation pipe as well that usually I use.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/ag/ref_PVC_Schedule40_IPS_Plastic...

Using that calculator if you used 1" pipe and wanted 10 gpm, the velocity would be only 3.71 fps but the pressure loss would be 2.4 psi/ 100' or 28.8 psi on the run. Figuring you started with 60 psi, that leaves you with 32 psi.

If you went to 1.5" pipe, your pressure loss would only be .31psi / 100', so you would loose only 3.72 psi on the run, so if you had 60 psi to start you'd end up with 56 or so.

Really need to know how much water (GPM) you need. I doesn't take much at all to keep a large water trough full, esp if you have a large capactiy trough and the cows can drink frequently-ie it is close or in the pasture. If it is a dry range, and all the cows have to walk miles to water, they all drink at once and you can have capacity problems.

Keeping a water trough full is one thing, but if I'm running water somewhere I always end up using it for something else, garden hose or such, so extra capacity is nice.

As far as pipe goes I see a lot of PVC being used, but the heavy wall plastic pipe on rolls works very well and is much easier to work with, esp in rocks. I can't remember if it is called poly or HDPE? What ever you do, don't use the thin wall black poly. Stuff always seems to cause problems a few years down the road, critters like to chew it up as well. I've put in probably 600' right here around the house, I just use PVC because it is so easy to work with on short runs. All 1.5 inch.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)