AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding Ground Ear Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BSchroeder
Posted 10/21/2010 15:46 (#1402338)
Subject: Feeding Ground Ear Corn

Devils Lake, ND
To cows or feeders. My dad says that as a kid, they didn't feed any shelled corn to the cattle (Grandpa didn't have cows.) Said the extra roughage was just right to keep it from getting too hot. Seems to me like it would still work today. Put a 12 row corn head on your 600 hp chopper and haul a**. But, with one exception, I'm not aware of anybody doing this. What is the reason? Please make your explanation as simple as possible, because the only thing I know about cows is they taste good slathered in Worsterchestershire sauce.

The one exception came as a result of the cold 2004 summer. Corn in NE ND was 28%, 40#, and 80 bu. Insurance agents wrote it off, and farmers were GIVING it away to get the cover off their fields. The guys who took it chopped just the ears, I assume for dairy cows. On that subject, how far would you haul chopped earlage if the only expense you had in it was harvest?

I'll hang up and listen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SOILcattleman
Posted 10/21/2010 16:05 (#1402349 - in reply to #1402338)
Subject: RE: Feeding Ground Ear Corn

West Salem, Illinois
I just ground a batch of ear corn this past weekend for my calves and the few hogs I have. They love it!

I want to find an old combine (gleaner f, jd 4400, etc) gut it hang a three or four row head on it build a "funnel" behind the throat and put a conveyor or belt going into trailing wagons. I think I could be pick'in corn at around 25% while everyone else is waiting to shell. Find an old crib or build something and have d**n good feed.
Outdoor Dave
Posted 10/23/2010 13:46 (#1404536 - in reply to #1402349)
Subject: Re: Feeding Ground Ear Corn

SE Nebraska
We used a Uni with a 4 row Deere head to pick ear corn up until the late 80's. All we fed both cows and feeders was alfalfa hay and ground ear corn, with some cracked corn added for finish. Free storage as we had the cribs, free drying, and there were 4 of us boys around to run the old
Artsway grinder mixer!
Also got to grind wagons full right ahead of corn picking and shell the rest of the crib with an old IH supersheller. traveled the neighborhood as a kid picking and shoveling into that old beast. Also learned how to back a grain truck from having to fish it in to reach the sheller.
SW Ont farmboy
Posted 10/21/2010 19:00 (#1402454 - in reply to #1402338)

near Lucan
like this?

(IMG_1001 (Medium).JPG)

(IMG_1010 (Medium).JPG)

(IMG_1015 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1001 (Medium).JPG (88KB - 760 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1010 (Medium).JPG (98KB - 779 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1015 (Medium).JPG (77KB - 778 downloads)
BSchroeder
Posted 10/21/2010 22:45 (#1402835 - in reply to #1402454)

Devils Lake, ND
How many bushels an hour can you run? I assume somewhat more than a combine.
SW Ont farmboy
Posted 10/22/2010 14:57 (#1403477 - in reply to #1402835)

near Lucan
Its my neighbor, but he looks to be going about 5-6 mph, with a 12 row head. Does a nice job of breaking the kernel up into pieces. Covers a lot of corn acres in the fall, between silage and cob meal, around 5000 acres I think. I'm told it's the biggest Deere harvestor available, I rode around in silage a bit, a LOT of corn flowing thru. He's got a point, why would you use a combine for cattle feed?
Tim in WI
Posted 10/21/2010 20:23 (#1402543 - in reply to #1402338)

Embarrass WI

I chop earlage(I call it snaplage)with our Claas chopper, a Lindquist adapter, and a JD 693 head. Chopper has it easy, not much volume to chop compare to silage. I set the length-of-cut as short as it goes and run the processor.

Works good, I don't know why more guys don't do it. A side note, I don't feed snaplage to my own cows-I have BMR corn silage and my high forage ration only needs 4 lbs of shelled corn/cow. I don't think I would feed snaplage fast enough to keep it fresh, so I just feed dry corn.

haymaker568
Posted 10/22/2010 08:27 (#1403195 - in reply to #1402543)

corner of mn, can see ia and sd from the silo
around us just about everyone is feeding some if not alot of earlage, or just high moisture corn. Ive fed both and its really nice to get a bunch of feed put up early or on a wet year its a way too use some of that wet corn without havin to dry it. Most of the big self propelled choppers were bought to do earlage and not silage around here.
Gerard
Posted 10/22/2010 08:53 (#1403227 - in reply to #1402338)

Woodham, Ontario
We have a JD 7200 that we bought for silage, just haul with dumptrailers. All I needed to do earlage was the 693 head, made a lot if sense and the dairy cows really like it. Also feed BMR silage corn, the earlage is in 2 narrow bunks.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Edited by Gerard 10/22/2010 08:59
bstclee
Posted 10/22/2010 10:06 (#1403296 - in reply to #1402338)

WC Wisconsin
We do it also. Claas 850 with lindquist adapter and 643 head. We don't have a combine or storage for enough hm corn. We sold our dry bin ten years ago. It needed too much work and it was in the wrong location anyways. And we thought we didn't need it. We had done hm corn in a madison silo for 25 years before it suddenly started getting moldy in the silo. We have put dry in the silo the last two years with not the greatest results. We have put to much money into the silo to keep it going. It was too small anyways. We get our corn silage done as fast as we can and then we pick our corn with the chopper. This year we wanted another 300 ton but of course it got to dry for hm snaplage. Go figure. Last year we had the opposite problem. Three weeks later last year and we were still finding corn with 40+ moisture. The snaplage is good for our cows. Hm corn is easier for them to digest and the cob is a little fiber. So we feed less corn silage and our haylage can be a bit more "hot" without too much problems. We put our snaplage in piles with our other silage. We have all the equipment for piles ( big tractor for proper packing density, enough cows to keep enough fed out to keep snaplage from "growing" the wrong way, and an endloader with a nice bunk defacer to keep the pile tight). I don't have to many pics of that part of the operation but I keep telling the wife to come out to take the pictures. She got a couple I will try to find them this fall and make a year in review post.

Edited by bstclee 10/22/2010 10:07
rambo
Posted 10/22/2010 11:25 (#1403342 - in reply to #1402338)

Remsen, Iowa
Many fat cattle producers doing just that around north west Iowa.
Ron/PA
Posted 10/22/2010 14:37 (#1403466 - in reply to #1402338)

We raise a few holstein steers for beef and a couple pigs. We grind our feed for the steers with the cob included. The pigs get some whole ears ground to slow their growth a bit if I need to , but I can see a real difference between making feed with cob and corn, and when I shell the corn.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)