AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semi truck sleeper removal vs. trans change over
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 10/21/2010 09:32 (#1402068)
Subject: Semi truck sleeper removal vs. trans change over

As a few of you guys have posted here, there seem to be a lot more trucks with sleepers to choose from. We are pretty pleased with the cheap sterling autoshift (which may need a alternator - hopefully the worst problem it has), but finding another sterling with the same 12.7 Detroit and autoshift at a similar price, even looking a little older, doesn't look good. It might just be cyclical thing where fleets sold a lot of these trucks and now they are in the hands of the 2nd owner (like mine was), or autoshifts just didn't catch on much around 2000-2003.
I did talk a dealer who said they were 'stuck' with a couple of autoshifts for a while - I would have liked to help them get 'unstuck' but too late.

Anyway, if my goal is to stay with sterling, but it's unlikely I'll find the same powertrain. Moving to another brand seems to have more choices at decent prices. The downside is they all have sleepers of various sizes. I found the daycab removal company, but have not priced a kit yet (anyone have a ballpark $ figure for the kits?). It seems like buying a truck with the powertrain I'd like and removing the sleeper and possibly shortening the frame might be less costly than swapping in an autoshift (trans $2500 + harness + ECM programming = probably near $4000 plus my time). What do you guys think? The daycab conversions look really good and chop saw blades have no problem with frame rails (and I have a magnetic base drill).

Thanks

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)