AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Sat. for East
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/4/2006 07:57 (#9900 - in reply to #9894)
Subject: RE: New Sat. for East

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I wasn't aware that a new satellite was put up for the East. Here in the midwest we were always using #122 which has been moved from over the Atlantic to over the Pacific.

We are having more "dropouts" than we were experiencing in the past. The move may be part of the reason.

There is a new satellite which is also to the west of us here in the midwest that is operating in Test Mode. Its number is #135. This may be the one that you are referring to.

Some GPS systems can be changed to this frequency quite easily, with others it is more difficult and with still others, a firmware upgrade may be necessary.

The whole issue of switching WAAS frequencies can be quite confusing. With some GPS units that actually have a key pad, it is possible to change the frequency through their menu system. With others that don't, it may be necessary to use a laptop computer to change the frequency. This can be a problem, especially since #135 is in test mode and is not necessarily reliable.

Many of our customers use a Raven 115 GPS along with a Raven 500 or 600 lightbar. In this situation it is fairly easy to change the frequency. First of all the lightbar must be setup as working with an Invicta GPS. Then the lightbar can "send changes" to the Invicta. Under the GPS configuration menu, you scroll down until you see the current WAAS frequency number (often 122). It is then possible to change the frequency. We have customers who have found it necessary to change from 122 to 135 and then sometimes back.

The WAAS dropouts seem to be somewhat dependent on the brand of GPS but this is a subjective judgement call on my part.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)