AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

USDA repoirt on 90.5 corn seems unlikely
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 4/2/2007 16:46 (#129809 - in reply to #128163)
Subject: RE: USDA repoirt on 90.5 corn seems unlikely

Mississippi
A lot of the South has already planted a substantial part of its corn acreage (80% estimates aren't uncommon in the Delta region and Georgia. But it's dry, and much of the remaining planting was put on hold last week until more rain comes. Mississippi's Delta counties may be as much as 10 inches behind on rainfall. I posted something about this in the Crops section a little bit ago.

This March will likely be the second driest since 1950 in the Delta, according to one newspaper article today, with about two-thirds of an inch in Stoneville, Miss., for the month. All the gauge there got on April 1 was .13.

I realize that folks in Iowa spill more corn than most states down here grow, but we could see an accumulated nibble off these planting estimates if the dry weather lingers. Dewey Lee said in my grain report over the weekend that the projected 500k of corn acres in his state may work out to only be 400k if the weather stays in the pattern we've been having.

I think some of the Southeast's Atlantic areas got a bunch of corn in soon enough that hurricanes won't be as much of a factor.

Owen
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)