AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you calve when you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

The_Owl
Posted 3/30/2007 11:01 (#128142 - in reply to #128008)
Subject: Re: Why do you calve when you do?

Watford City, ND
As I took college courses on Ranch Management, Cattle Producation, and Grazing Ecology, I came to the conclusion that many "experts" believe that in western NoDak and Eastern MT, March 15 - April 1 is considered the optimal time to calve because it is suppose to be the most profitable. Here's the line of thinking behind that...(mind you, this isn't MY orginal thinking, this is what was explained to me)

Winter feeding is by far the most expensive part of owning cattle. Ideally in this area, ranchers should have their cattle in the drylot (at home, feeding in pens) for 189 days. During that time, Nov 15-May 1, cattle are feed at three different intervals. The first interval (til maybe Feb 1) is purely for a cow's personal maintenance. Her calve growning inside her is pulling minimal nutrients off of her. Her protein levels needn't exceed 8.5% or so. This is the cheapest time for winter feeding. After that, the calve is starting to grow. Her body is using more energy, so protein levels are brought to around 10% (a little rusty on the numbers). This last until then end of Feb or so. Then for the last two weeks of pregnancy all the way through until May 1, high quality feed is desired. 12.5% protein becasue now the calve is growning a good rate, then born, then milking. On top of that, you need to get the cow ready to be bred again. May 1 in ND, (again, ideally) cattle are put out to planted pasture of either brome or crested wheat grass. They are cool season, with good protein. This is allowed until cattle are put on native range. Now, many experts in extension say that grass shouldn't be grazed (native grass) until at least June 1 or after. This allows for optimal stocking rates, good forage quanity and quality, along with the most profitablity. Cattle graze until Oct 15 on native range, then move to a planted pasture of some type that is suitable for late season grazing, and in Nov the whole thing starts again.

Now, as I said, this is for "proven" profitability. Varying the calving dates changes how and when cattle can get into the pastures. They claim under no circumstances should cattle graze native grasses before June 1. Personally, EVERY rancher I know starts grazing native grass in either April or May.

For any other info on what I'm trying to explain, either look up NDSU EXT, Dickinson, or google Twice-Over Grazing, or google Dr. Lee Manske

any other questions, let me know. I' love talking like I know what I'm saying!!

hope i didn't confuse you to much.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)