AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you calve when you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 3/30/2007 06:03 (#128008 - in reply to #127983)
Subject: Re: Why do you calve when you do?

My health ain't what it used to be. I don't want to be out there fighting the weather. I've moved my calving back to late April since the year I had heart surgery. If I would go haywire at a critical time things here could pretty much go on autopilot with minimal burdening of the neighbors doing my chores. Cows feeding themselves on grass and getting automatic water that doesn't freeze really speed up the chore detail. I used to lamb in Feb so I could calve in March so I could start farming. I'm getting lazy in my old age, no sheep and no farming LOL! One bonus of later calving is it doesn't take the quantites or highest quality feed. Once those calves hit the ground, mama cow needs the best groceries you can give her to milk and breed back. I'd rather have her get it herself from green grass rather than feeding a lot of hay, cake, or tubs. I have a fresh pasture to move my cattle to for calving and another fresh pasture to move the pairs to. I still have a pretty good stockpile of old hay while folks that have been calving the last two months have been buying hay. Those heavier calves have a heavier price tag to get them to the same point too.

Edited by John SD 3/30/2007 06:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)