AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ Guide 500 -- Keeping records
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/30/2007 06:32 (#128011 - in reply to #127502)
Subject: RE: EZ Guide 500 -- Keeping records

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
For my situation, I will be moving my Insight between rigs for the recordkeeping. I considered a second Insight instead of the 500 for the second tractor.

On one hand another Insight would handle the recordkeeping and could run the autopilot on this second tractor but would require the autopilot unlock, probably the autoswath unlock and a standalone GPS.

Compared to purchasing the second Insight, unlocks and standalone GPS, the 500 was considerably cheaper. The built in GPS is certainly no bargin but is about $1000 less than a standalone model thrown into the above mix.

My plan is to leave the 500 in that tractor and move the Insight that I have in beside it for certain operations. With the Insight in the second tractor, I will have two devices that actually could run the autopilot. The Insight has autopilot unlocked for a different tractor and the EZ-Guide 500 also has the ability. I will most likely continue to have the 500 run the autopilot at all times unless there is some good reason to switch to the Insight when it is available.

Running two Insights on the same farm does have some recordkeeping drawbacks. Everything collected can be processed by the Desktop software and melded together. However, the internal memory of one Insight does not have the data from the other.

Consider an operation that uses two Insights, two planters, two sprayers and two combines. Each Insight will "know" what it has done but will not "know" what the other unit has done. Again this is no problem when the data is processed by the office computer but causes some problems for the operator in the individual rigs.

A case in point is Autoswath when used with the planters and Seed Command or the sprayers with Autoswath/Direct Command. If two rigs are operating in the same field, the Autoswath has no knowledge of what the other rig has done. This may or may not be an issue.

Edited by tedbear 3/30/2007 06:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)