AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Direct Command wiring on rogator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/22/2007 06:22 (#123604 - in reply to #123345)
Subject: RE: Direct Command wiring on rogator

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Rogators used two different styles of Hyd. Control valves. How was your Raven programmed?

One style used a "FAST" setting and another style used a "PWM" setting. This will reflect how the unit is wired and also how the Insight would need to be programmed.

In the FAST style, a motor turns in small increments to adjust the flow of the oil to the orbit motor which in turns runs the spray pump. If the rate is too low, the system sends out a +/- polarity shot to the motor on the control valve. If the rate is too high, the system sends out a -/+ polarity shot to the control valve. If the rate is acceptable no power is sent to the control valve. This is done with very short "shots" of electricity so that the vavle does not overshoot.

In the PWM style, constant short shots of electricity are sent to the valve. This is a way to vary the amount of electricty from 0 V to 12V getting to the coil on hyd valve. Since the valve cannot physically change from open to close instantly, the position tends to be the "average" of the electrical shots that it is receiving at any given time. The faster these shots are applied, the more the valve opens to increase the flow of oil. If no electricty is applied the valve is shut, the orbit motor stops and of course there is no spray flow. If the electricity is applied continuously the valve goes fully open and the orbit motor runs at full speed. Normal spraying is done somewhere between these extremes. This is the scheme that is used on many modern farm tractors.

Because you say that the valve has three wires involved, I am of the opinion that you have the first style. Two of the wires are used for the +/- or -/+ scheme mentioned above. The third wire is for the "Valve Maxed Out - Slow Down" light on the Rogator. Supposing this is all true - I'm unsure which wire is which. Some Rogaters used a 4 pole AMP connector to the control valve of which only three pins were used. On that style of connector our Raven books indicate which wires are for which purposes.

Have you addressed the boom wiring? Remember the Direct Command liquid module needs to run the booms and the original boom switches or substitutes need to go to the AIM.

Edited by tedbear 3/22/2007 06:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)