AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Largest Fields, Largest Operations, & Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IntegraSeeds
Posted 3/18/2007 11:59 (#121664)
Subject: Largest Fields, Largest Operations, & Pics

Hanford, CA
Saw in some earlier posts questioning largest fields and largest farm operations, etc. Back in the day, I worked at the J. G. Boswell Co in their seed division (Phytogen Seed Co). The operation is quite facinating...farming 120,000 ac of row crop. They have two ranch locations - Corcoran, CA at 100,000 ac & Buena Vista (around Bakersfield) at 22,000 ac. In general, they plant 82,000 ac. of pima cotton, 15,000 acres of tomatoes, 5,000 ac of seed alfalfa, 5,000 ac. of hay alfalfa and remaining acres of various crops. In addition, J. G. Boswell has cattle ranch in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas totaling aroung 59,000 acres. They have around 40 6-row cotton pickers, 4 cotton gins, an oil mill, and in the process of constructing tomato paste plant.

Many guys that farm in the lake bottom farm a minimum of 10,000 acres and have to do so in order to move water around. The last flood that occured in the lake bottom was in 1998 in which about 50,000 acres went under water...Boswell took most of it. They have areas they can block off that can hold 200,000 ac/ft. of water, but once the 200,000 ac./ft. are in the holding ares, they must begin flooding their farmland. This is why they must have a bunch of acres. I was raised on a farm in central Louisiana, so I am still in awe when I see this kind of large production. thought I would share and hope that planting is going well for everyone.

(Boswell 1.JPG)

(Boswell 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Boswell 1.JPG (46KB - 643 downloads)
Attachments Boswell 2.JPG (56KB - 605 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)