AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK...Line of sight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 3/18/2007 20:56 (#121917 - in reply to #121710)
Subject: Re: RTK...Line of sight?

South Georgia
I was looking for repeatability. If I bought an autosteer outfit, the main point would be to plant with it, and then come back in the fall and dig peanuts with it. I think that'd be the first place it'd pay. However, if I was gonna make that big an investment, I want to use it as much as possible. If, when I got through planting, I could put it on the hooded sprayer, and lay by cotton with it, then that's great. Maybe could run faster with it steering. If it's not on the hooded sprayer, put it on the high-boy. Steering that sucker all day long is hard work sometimes, especially if the cotton's a little rank, or a storm's blown it around and made the row hard to see, so since we've already put tens of thousands of dollars into an auto-steer system, let's put it on there and use it. In the fall, dig peanuts with it, and after peanut season, put it on the cotton picker. (Why not, if it's already paid for? Yeah, I can steer myself, but I could do without the A/C, too. The A/C's paid for, so I'm gonna use it. If the auto-steer is paid for, might as well use it, too. Like I said, if a storm's come through and blown it over, it can be pretty hard to find the row sometimes, especially at night when you've already been picking for ten or twelve hours.)

If all I wanted to do was plant with it, and dig peanuts with it, yeah, I reckon moving a base station around is fine, but by golly, if I'm gonna put up a mountain of money that size, I want to use it to its full potential, not have it sitting in a box most of the year.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)