AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK corrections signal transmission....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/17/2007 08:37 (#121137 - in reply to #121056)
Subject: RE: RTK corrections signal transmission....

Chebanse, IL.....

Maybe this RTK system will dominate. That will be OK. But, isn't the problem still cell coverage? I mean GOOD cell coverage?

Apparently there are some parts of the US where cell coverage by any single carrier (meaning they own ALL the towers?) is good. Not just usable...but good. But, we certainly don't have that in NE IL. I'd suggest that we're a fairly well concentrated population up here. If you live here...you're probably laughing @ the understatement. Cell towers exist at least every mile along interstate hiways, & interstate hiways seem to converge towards Chicago. I really can't imagine cell towers becoming even more congested, but I realize they will. We now have more cell towers than trees in NE IL. I'm sitting 500' from I57 & our cell coverage (Cingular Wireless) is terrible. We can have 4 bars of signal strength...drive 1/4 mis & have 1 or no bars. We can be talking on cell phone, turn on end of field w/implement & have 0 suddenly...dropped, gone, done. We've researched every other one we know of & all have the same trouble. They do not give adequate service everywhere that we farm. I'd say that most of the sales/service people that stop by our farm carry 2 cell phones on their belts. We ask almost all of the "traveling sales people" here what their perfect answer might be. They say there is none right now.

Seems dumb to me. Why other locales have such good coverage by any single company is beyond me.

It will probably depend on how far you plan on depending upon the RTK signal. Will the RTK signal be repeatable with only 1 bar (don't know how else to measure) of cell phone strength?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)