AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

excess pasture for rent
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jreiser
Posted 5/31/2010 03:22 (#1219388)
Subject: excess pasture for rent

nc Ne
There is a lot of pasture for rent in this area and from contacts that I have visited with also western ne and into south dakota. Is this the case from what you guys are seeing? I have never seen this much available locally this time of the year. My thoughts are the rent was too high. The rent is still high in the pasture that is available . Better moisture the last couple of years which is increasing the carrying capacity if you own your pastures. Calves were too high to put on grass . The age of our cattle producers is causing them to get out or not replace the cow herd. Any thoughts ? I do not like placing cattle with these markets as wild as they are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pofarmer
Posted 5/31/2010 07:37 (#1219435 - in reply to #1219388)
Subject: Re: excess pasture for rent

"here" a lot of pasture has been turned to row crops. Can't hardly find pasture to rent.
Chad H
Posted 5/31/2010 08:22 (#1219467 - in reply to #1219388)
Subject: RE: excess pasture for rent

NE SD
The trend here is that landowners are trying to raise pasture rent by at least $10/acre. Our cattle buyer let all of his go because he couldn't make it work at those levels and we are of the same feelings. They can have them at those prices.
billybob
Posted 5/31/2010 09:05 (#1219515 - in reply to #1219467)
Subject: A little more info. please.

What are the current pasture rates before the $10 bump?  How many acres to carry a cow calf pair? 
Ranchhand
Posted 5/31/2010 09:20 (#1219522 - in reply to #1219388)

West KY, Miss River County
We put in some calves a couple weeks ago and were able to hedge them out at the price paid. Money there on the gain. Most years recently this has been impossible.
Kooiker
Posted 5/31/2010 09:22 (#1219524 - in reply to #1219435)
Subject: and

around this area most pasture either has a river or creek through it and the cattle guys are bidding against the federal govt (CRP) to put cattle on those acres.

There have been a LOT of pasture acres in this area go into CRP in the last 5 yrs at $ closer to row crop rent than pasture rent.
Markwright
Posted 5/31/2010 13:00 (#1219656 - in reply to #1219388)
Subject: RE: Pasture rates there will just shrink

New Mexico
to a level where it's profitable for livestock producers to use the pastures again.

Do know that cow/calf summer pasture seasons priced in your area the past few years have been about double what folks in other areas can afford to pay.

hmmm...try pricing some at say $12 to $15 per month cow/calf....plus a percentage of the up based on calf performance...long term deal, drought proof, you might get some takers on that now there.

jreiser
Posted 5/31/2010 17:18 (#1219822 - in reply to #1219656)
Subject: My question though is this widespread?

nc Ne
I am not looking for more. How will this affect the market down the raad?
Markwright
Posted 5/31/2010 18:29 (#1219900 - in reply to #1219822)
Subject: RE: Less cattle down the road. That simple.

New Mexico
Cowherd stays in decline.

Used to be places like Mississippi were full of cows.

Now there might be 1 to 2 cowherds left in several of what used to be Cow/Timber counties.

Investment goals are what has changed things.
Investors in MS own alot of the dirt now and simply grow Timber and Deer Hunt ( NO cattle whatsoever ).

Alot of Texas is now basically Hunting ranches.

New Mexico, the East Coast stock folks who need to bury money awhile buy a couple hundred thousand acres, flip it at a loss 5 years down the road ( ussually to the next one ) walk with more free cash than they ever had before. Basically launder supposed stock windfalls thru land.
Land just sets..they don't lease it, don't hunt it, folks themselves maybe see it twice ( maybe not too ).

Every exec from Enron to Tyco has been here...some still are ( they'll cash that when they're out, I reckon ).

farmdude
Posted 6/1/2010 13:11 (#1220794 - in reply to #1219900)

Im in nebraska as well and I have never seen this much grass for rent this time off year. With all the cow slaughter the last few years theres just not many cattle around. Probably the fewest since the early 1960s and I remembered my Dad saying the drouth off the 1950s thinned the cattle population quite a bit. The 1960s were profitable years for most cattle operations. Dad fed a lot off cattle in the sixties. He never did say he made money but he put two new machine sheds up added on to the house. Bought some new machinery. And a half section off land. The cattle paid for most off that. Hogs were fed also but proces were bad at the time for those until the 70s. Lets hope we some profitable years for the cattle guy. he needs them
Jim
Posted 6/3/2010 00:29 (#1222844 - in reply to #1219900)
Subject: RE: Less cattle down the road. That simple.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I drove E-W across much of N IN & OH in the past day or two. I'm always looking for cattle. From the highway I can't remember seeing more than 2 or 3 pastures with any cattle visible from the highway all the way across.

Jim at Dawn

soil-life
Posted 6/3/2010 04:36 (#1222895 - in reply to #1222844)

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
Kentucky and Tenn.

Lots of pasture ground with no cattle

2 to 3 years ago these same pastures were filled with cow calf herds

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)