AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ez-guide 500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/6/2007 07:03 (#115410 - in reply to #115306)
Subject: More Questions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Just this morning I got to thinking that since External GPS IN will not be supported initially - how about Internal GPS out?

According to Torn, this question was already answered. In my situation, the EZ-Guide 500 will be mounted and stay in a Tractor with Autopilot. The Internal GPS will be the GPS source. I will start out with WAAS and progress to Omnistar if necessary.

At times, an Insight will be used in this tractor also (It gets moved between three tractors and a combine). During those times, I would want to utilize the GPS out from the EZ-Guide 500 for the GPS source for the Insight. This is what I am currently doing with the EZ-Guide/EZ-Steer equipment which stays with this tractor.

I believe that a special "extra" cable is needed when the EZ-Guide 500 is used with EZ-Steer. I also understand EZ-Steer needs different firmware too.

Are any special extra cables needed to go to Trimble's Autopilot? Is there another extra cable necessary to get GPS out? Will the GPS out be configurable in the initial release? This may or may not be an issue with the Insight as it is quite forgiving. However, certain applications such as Seed Command require a fairly fast GPS to the Insight. This would be frustrating in certain scenarios (probably not mine), knowing that the GPS has the higher end ability but not being able to utilize it.

The drawing in Mbmaring's post seems to show the cabling required for an RTK setup with Autopilot. I would not be using RTK so the connector to the SiteNet Radio would not be utilized in my situation. I assume there is a slightly different cable that goes from the 500 to the CAN connector for the Nav Controller that also has a 9 pin for GPS out.

Now I really have myself confused. Maybe during the times when the Insight is available (it has autopilot unlocked), I could use it as the interface to the Autopilot and just use the 500 as the GPS source (when that option becomes real). Then during the other times when the Insight is used elsewhere use the 500 as the interface and GPS. This is probably not a good idea due to the confusion and possibly wouldn't work well with the Insight as the interface and the 500 as the GPS source.

Edited by tedbear 3/6/2007 08:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)