AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 post auto lift-Concrete requirements
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TP from Central PA
Posted 5/3/2010 21:20 (#1184686)
Subject: 2 post auto lift-Concrete requirements

Just bought a 2 post Ammoco Auto lift that is rated for 9000lbs tonight, they had new cables for it as well as the ones on it that are in good shape. Got it bought for just a hair over $1000 which I didn't think was bad at all. Anyhow, I know a few of you on here have lifts and was wondering if anyone knew the spec's on what type of concrete slab they require. Problem I have is the lift is 12'4" high and won't fit in our shop. We are planning to expand our shop and will have plenty of room at that time, but that won't happen till this winter at the earliest. So I thought about pouring a makeshift pad outside our shop and mounting the hydraulic pump/valve on a cart and using hydraulic couplers so I could atleast move that part indoors. Granted the pad wouldn't go to waste as it would be part of the driveway after we move the lift, but I really have alot of use for a lift and don't want it laying around until we expand the shop which is why I want to go this route. Anythoughts I would appreciate 'em.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in WI
Posted 5/3/2010 21:33 (#1184712 - in reply to #1184686)
Subject: RE: 2 post auto lift-Concrete requirements

Embarrass WI

I have been doing a little shopping for a lift as well, some of their sites give a spec for the concrete. I don't recall the exact spec, but it was less than I expected-4 or 5 inch and not particularly high PSI.

If it was me, I would pour at least 6 inches for 3-4 feet around where the "feet" would go, with lots of rebar and fibermesh for good measure. Having a lift pull out of the concrete would be pretty low on my list of "fun things to do".

Edit-Here's a FAQ page from a lift seller-

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Articles.asp?ID=295

Edited by Tim in WI 5/3/2010 21:38
qmark
Posted 5/3/2010 22:28 (#1184836 - in reply to #1184686)
Subject: Re: 2 post auto lift-Concrete requirements

saskatchewan and Washington
lengthwise on the lift I would give it several feet of concrete in each direction.
at twelve feet high it will have quite a bit of leverage on the concrete
Ed Boysun
Posted 5/3/2010 22:50 (#1184887 - in reply to #1184686)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

So, do the cables run along the floor or are they in an overhead beam between the posts? If it's a baseplate lift with the cables along the floor, there is an incredible amount of uplift on the outside bolts when lifting something. I would be very concerned about the anchor bolts pulling out of a relatively green slab that hasn't had at least 6 months to cure with decent hydration during the curing period. My lift had torque specs for tightening the anchor bolts and the bolts are to be re-torqued at given intervals. You are right on the verge of pulling the anchors out of the slab when tightening to specs, or at least it seemed that way to me.

I also spent a lot of time getting the posts on mine as close to plumb and parallel as possible. Lack of parallelism will also greatly increase strain on the anchor bolts as the load is lifted. There have been pics posted here, of lifts that have had their anchors fail. Not a pretty sight, dangerous, and would be a real challenge to get the mess down to ground level.

2-Post hoist

SD-455
Posted 5/4/2010 11:02 (#1185438 - in reply to #1184686)

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
Go to www.asedeals.com They sell BendPak lifts. A 10,000lb two post needs 5" of 4000psi concrete if I remember right.
TP from Central PA
Posted 5/4/2010 21:39 (#1185962 - in reply to #1184887)

Ed, This one has the cables overhead which is why it is so tall. Another reason I bought it................I thought it would work better for what I had in mind than one with the cables at the bottom.
TP from Central PA
Posted 5/4/2010 21:43 (#1185973 - in reply to #1184712)

Me and my brother did some measuring tonight................We were thinking about building a jig and installing the anchors right in the concrete and doing the same deal, a really thick slab 4 ft or so wide on each side of the post, and 3ft wider than the width on both sides and digging it down and pouring it really thick. We are planning on starting our new shop this fall and this pad where the lift will go for summer will be part of the driveway later on. Probably a place we can drop semi-trailer with the concrete being so thick.
Ed Boysun
Posted 5/5/2010 08:56 (#1186511 - in reply to #1185962)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Pros & cons to either type. The overhead cable ones are rated higher than an equivalent hoist with cables near the floor. If I could have fit one of those in my shop, that's what I'd have gotten. Not enough headroom though, so I got the pad mount type.

I like the idea of a slab with poured in, deep anchor bolts. If you can do it, that seems like the best way to me. Good luck & enjoy the hoist.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)