AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Regrets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Tom N
Posted 2/25/2007 18:54 (#110994 - in reply to #110906)
Subject: Re: Any Regrets

Missouri river bottom south of Sioux City, IA
Hi Don

In my case there was more then a just a little planter drift with the drawn planter then running in strip-tilled corn stocks. I strip-till in-between the 30 inch corn rows. The planter was moving 4 to 6 inches because the planter wheels did not want to run on top of the old corn stock rows. I considered this as unexceptionable in a strip-till application. That’s why I switched to a mounted planter. You’re correct about the type of tillage that’s done ahead of the planter. It will affect how strait your pull type planter will pull.

We have a lot of seed corn growing in this area. Some guys run the SF2 and others run Trimble RTK Autopilot, all using pull type planters. The guys running the seed corn harvester need to run down the guess rows and know exactly what fields were done with the Trimble RTK system and the ones done with SF2.

Everyone does conventional tillage ahead of the planters so all the planters are going to drift about the same whether running SF2 or Trimble RTK. We attribute the better guess rows with the RTK because we are starting out with better accuracy then the SF2. That’s the point that I was trying to make. Trimble RTK is better then JD SF2.

I’m not sure I follow you with the SF2 and tire tracking error. How close do you allow your ties to get to the row before you would shift track when your side dressing? If you don’t need to shift track then why is JD even offering an RTK system?

Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)