AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scouring calves and pepto-bismol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nate in mid mo
Posted 3/22/2010 19:53 (#1131480)
Subject: Scouring calves and pepto-bismol

Hey guys I have a question we are calving hard and after we are getting them on the ground we are having trouble with scours. We have been using the pills and they seem like they are not working. A guy we have bought bulls from uses pepto-bismol and says it works great. So we tryed it this year and what we have treated seem like it worked very well. So I guess I am asking if anyone else has used pepto-bismol and what we haven't figured out is how much to give a calf. We have been using a 60 cc serringe and filling it up and giving it to them in the mouth. If there is any other ways to treat scours I would like to here them too. Thanks for all the input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NoTill1825
Posted 3/22/2010 20:39 (#1131593 - in reply to #1131480)
Subject: RE: Scouring calves and pepto-bismol

NC Indiana
We used some pepto earlier this yr at the recommendation of our feed guy. Seems like it was 20 cc's w/ a little antibiotic mixed in.
infarmdave
Posted 3/22/2010 20:40 (#1131598 - in reply to #1131480)

indiana
the pepto really helps slow down the stomach on those babies but u may also need some electrolytes and depending on what is giving them the scours maybe some antibiotics we give 40 to 60 ccs of pepto i think it is called Kaolin when you get it from the vet hope this helps David
hedgewood1
Posted 3/22/2010 21:01 (#1131646 - in reply to #1131598)

central kansas
5cc. Baytril + pills -sub -que . Not a vet label but works for us.
wayneNWAR
Posted 3/22/2010 21:08 (#1131654 - in reply to #1131480)

north west arkansas
if pills arent working i would have them tested for rota-virus or corona-virus. i would give them calf gaurd at birth and see if that helps. as for fluid we use kaolin-pectin, salt, baking soda, and karo syrup all mixed in water i cant remember right of hand the amounts but have it written down somewhere.when the pills dont work its because the scours are being caused by a virus and not a bacteria and if thats the case the pills actually makes it worse because they kill the good bacteria in their stomachs. if all possible isolate the sick and try to keep feeding on new ground.
Joelt
Posted 3/22/2010 21:48 (#1131759 - in reply to #1131480)
Subject: Re: Scouring calves and pepto-bismol

perryton, tx
I was given a pink mixture by the vet earlier in the year to treat one. I was sure it was pepto with maybe something added to it. 30cc a day for 3 days took care of it.
redtractor
Posted 3/22/2010 22:40 (#1131919 - in reply to #1131759)

We had a calf scouring for a few days . never got better so I gave her 5ccs of LA200 and seems like it has cleared it up.
jp84
Posted 3/23/2010 08:40 (#1132331 - in reply to #1131919)

NCMO
I have a friend that uses 3cc of Nuflor oral. He said it works great for him. But like all Meds. it depends on the virus you are fighting
GangGreen
Posted 3/23/2010 08:50 (#1132347 - in reply to #1131480)

Eastern Iowa
Consider giving the ScourGard shot. It makes a WORLD of difference if you build immunity in those cows/calves before they hit the ground. Scour problems went from being a chronic spring headache around here to being nearly nonexistent.

Last year I had one calf with a scour problem from a heifer. Didn't have any electrolytes on hand when I found him so I gave him whatever I could find. I bottle of Grape Gatorade G2.

He's in the feedlot now. I always think of it when I see him: Mia Hamm, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter, Calf #160.
timjohn
Posted 3/23/2010 17:38 (#1132874 - in reply to #1132347)

SE Wisconsin
Thats hilarious about the Gatorade...they should really add it to there commercials. When the athletes have the colored sweat dripping off their faces and bodies, they could pan over to a calf with purple gatorade dripping from its mouth...LOL

We have tried pepto with some success as others stated.
bandrcattle
Posted 3/23/2010 21:16 (#1133179 - in reply to #1131480)

south west ohio
all of the above post are great ideas. i have found that using baytril hepls an i usually give them 5cc in the butt. i was also told to squirt a few cc's in the nostral at the same time. i cant say that it helps but i figure what the heck it cant hurt. with that being said to me the most important thing is to keep then hydrated. what we do is pull them from the cow(usally pen them next to the cow) for a day and give them gelling electrolites for 24 hours. dehydration is what kills the calf not the virus.

Edited by bandrcattle 3/23/2010 21:18
spudz52
Posted 3/26/2010 22:14 (#1138220 - in reply to #1133179)

St. Anthony,Idaho
I get a mixture of pepto bismal and paragoric from my vet. I use 60cc along with an antibiotic such as Draxxin or Nuflor or LA 200. It seems to work for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)