AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cost to keep a cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 3/4/2010 11:59 (#1104712 - in reply to #1104654)
Subject: Re: cost to keep a cow

Missouri
I wish I had the books to really tell the out of pocket cow expense and the actual cost both purchase and raised cows( Include replacement cost)(Bull breeding costs). Impossible to allocate cost to enterprises here. Accountant off taking care of cattle. I have been buying light wt feeder calves from July to Oct for around $420/$450 per head, something tells me that is close to the break even on cow cost. During the time of $300 per head figured I could not run a cow for that and bought all the calves I could get. That is why finding light wt calves is difficult, as no money left for the producer, they have to get over the $500 per head to cover cost. Poor way to answer question, but best I got. Per Jim's Hef, she is easy to answer, she did not earn a brand. With out nursing a calf to cover this years out of pocket expenses. Her value exceeds taking the risk allowing her to drop to cow prices. Little different with young cow that has proven herself and is already to cow prices. Work hard to keep those freeloaders to a minimum, and she is on probation. The mama's don't like spreading the wealth. Same way as the late calvers, or cows over 10 yrs. First to go in that overstock position, or .70 cent cow prices this summer. Jim's loss turned into pretty good discussion. Snow going fast, rain Sunday, working on moving cows and newborns to normal calving pasture, that is not a easy as it sounds. Will be like the sand hill calving system, but sure don't want to move mamas and leave newborns for those coyotes. Mama's dropping calves fast, starting to move around more as the snow pack melts, separating from the hay beds, newborns and the herd.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)