AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steers last day in feedlot (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Emu
Posted 3/3/2010 22:03 (#1103911 - in reply to #1103741)
Subject: RE: Steers last day in feedlot (Pics)

Tamworth NSW Australia

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear there are some Murray greys in your area, I know there are some breeders in NA but not sure how common they are. The cattle on this farm are 100% grass raised. We can grow pasture year round (no snow) as long as it rains so I dont have to feed grain, they will be grazed on crop stubble if pasture gets short. Calves are born in the paddock and never see the inside of a shed/barn. I keep an eye on heifers but generally no problems. Calving is late winter/early spring (july/sept), raised on pasture and weaned at about 7mth. Grown out on pasture to about 900lb and then usually sold through local saleyard (auction) at about 14/16 mths to butcher or feedlotter for further feeding.

I haven't got the final bill for feed yet so not sure on the cost of gain. Beef prices have risen since they entered the feedlot so I will gain there. When they went in stocker (we call them feeder steer) prices were down due to drought and lack of pasture across eastern Australia and lot of supply in the cattle market. Since then we have had floods over central/southern Queensland (main cattle state) and western NSW so supply is down and price up. Feeder price was about $1.55/kg liveweight when they went on feed, sold for $3.50/kg carcase weight, feed was $240/metric t.

Japan is our main beef market so I think these steers will go there or maybe Korea, the exporter will decide that one. They also made the top grade under MSA (Meat Standards Australia). This is the first time I have sold over the hook so marketing and grading is still new to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)