AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coyotes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HerefordNB
Posted 3/4/2010 06:51 (#1104325 - in reply to #1104103)
Subject: : Coyotes WILL kill calves.

NB
Nope. We watched them one time kill a calf. Just like I described in my post above. They learn to simulate "play" with calf. A healthy 200 plus pound calf.
My late father and I had shotguns. Coyotes got calf about 400 yards away on other side of herd near bush. We could do nothing but watch.

Yes the wild dogs here have some red wolf in em.

The alpha bitch is the brains of the hunt. Most always the cat and dog killers in suburbs are the bitch.

First time we ever saw them was Easter Sunday 1973. We were running some cattle in the bush.While feeding we noticed one young cow was missing.
We searched around,and found here in a little clearing where she had moments before dropped a calf. She was standing like a 1/4 horse while cutting,all four feet like in a 2 square foot area while 2 yotes,one on either side of here took turns trying to grab calf. We hollered and they took off. If we had of not showed up right then calf would have been a goner.

So to all above that believe that your cows can defend calves from coyotes.....I want some of your genetics. They ain't got a chance. I know ours here are larger with wolf in em.They even call them Eastern brush wolf here, but they are calf killers and during the height of winter with lots of snow cover when mice and such are harder for them to find they will eat anything , I mean anything. One time I shot one about midnight during full moon on snow. Next morning at first light 2 others were ripping it apart. They are the ultimate survivalists that can adapt to most any environment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)