AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coyotes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HerefordNB
Posted 3/3/2010 22:37 (#1103993 - in reply to #1103572)
Subject: Re: Coyotes

NB
Got a pile of 33 in yard. They are going to town this week for a contest. Fur is worth next to nothing this year. Prize for the winner is a new 22-250.

Our yotes here in the north east actually got some red wolf in em. They will go easy 65 pounds for males. Some larger. Got one about 15 years ago that weighed 95 pounds.

Here they kill calves all the time. Lost a 450 pound registered Brown Swiss heifer in 1989. Next day I bought a .223. Its usually a willy female that is the calf killer. Have seem them go into pasture and start playing with calves. Calves chase yote,then yote chase calf,then calf chase yote again. This will go on till calf is away from herd,near bush and whammy,2 yotes come out of hiding and tackle calf. Here they hunt in packs of up to at least 6 that I have seen. Here in winter when snow gets deep deer yard up in soft wood thickets. Yotes will move in and clean up whole herd.

I hate the things and will always stop whatever I am doing to shoot one. Whenever wherever.

Most sheep guys here are out of em. Could not win over yotes. All that are left in business are those that bring sheep in at night,every night. Some cattle guys are doing that also. That gets old real quick. I have 2 donkeys, was told they would protect herd by lots of people. Just something else to look after.LOL.

My advise is to get a good accurate rifle , practice a lot and start baiting them in the winter. I shoot off a pick-nick table at bait at 300 yards.
I got an aqua therm outside boiler and most mornings I carry rifle out with me at first light to go fill furnace..Usually get a shot off before coffee.

I have heart about Mark wright's thing about the sponge soaked in bacon grease. Heard that any sponge foam will do . Cut in 2-3 inch squares. Gets lodged in bowl and they die a lingering death.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)