AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Goats?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 3/4/2010 17:46 (#1105014 - in reply to #1102927)
Subject: RE: Goats?

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
I would say goats are a pretty easy and cheap project. Like others said keep them dry and penned up and they won't need much attention. We have a handful, for what reason I don't know, and I just throw out a small square of immature wheat hay a few times a week and that is all they have had all winter. And a mineral block. I know they need more protein, but you just can't afford to feed them much expensive feed. I have not had much luck giving them hay free choice. They just pull it all out on the ground and waste at least half of it. I have to meter it out every few days and make them clean it up. It is a hassle but much more efficient. In the summer they just graze on grass and weeds. Be sure if you are feeding the wethers and billies be sure to watch their calcium and phosphorus ratios to keep from getting kidney stones. http://thegoodshepherdgoatfarm.webs.com/urinarycalculi.htm

Down here good generic nannies will bring $75-$100. Purebreds much more. Kids will bring about $1 - $1.25 per lb. Say, we will be having kids any day now.....let's make a deal!

Edited by milofarmer1 3/4/2010 17:48

(DSCF1379.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF1379.jpg (82KB - 184 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)