AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autosteer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jay in WA
Posted 2/11/2007 19:44 (#103029)
Subject: Autosteer

Pasco WA.
Starting to think about going to autosteer on one tractor. JD 4560 used planting and the dammer diker. 8 row mounted planter on rolling pivot irrigated ground. What accuracy level do I need to be able to plant with? What about when I come back and dammer dike? Will 4" accuracy be good enough? I don't trust my current employees to be able to drive accurate enough to plant or dammer dike. That means that without autosteer I have to do those two jobs myself. That would be fine if I didn't have lots of other jobs to tend to also.

This tractor also plants alfalfa round and round on center pivots. I pull a 13' drill behind a roller harrow. It's sometimes a real SOB to drive correctly without overlaping or leaving skips, especially on sidehills. How well will auto steer work for me in this situation?

In the near future I expect to go to replace my two sickle swathers with one rotary swather. Auto steer would sure be nice if I could cut out the pivot tracks and then make each pass on a span the exact same width. Deere is the only one that I have seen offer autosteer on a swather so far but I am not going to buy a deere swather. Most likely stay with NH.

My spraying and spreading are all custom done. I don't do enough tillage to make autosteer pay but if I have it I may as well move it to the tillage tractor and us it. I don't see using it for raking and baling.

I have Trimble and JD dealers locally. Any advice for a first timer?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)