AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This season's no-till progress. (with pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 2/13/2010 21:28 (#1073501)
Subject: This season's no-till progress. (with pictures)

Hi all. The temps and photo period is starting to bring things out of dormancy and I took some time this afternoon to continue some scouting with my camera.

A few of the members here that have saw a thread or two of my 2009 season and attempts at growing soybeans and grain corn, may recognize this field from those threads. This field was planted with my JD 1590 in the first week or so of december. I cant find my notes on the planting date for some reason to get an exact date, but this was the last field I planted to soft white winter wheat.

The conditions for planting were terrible. It took four days to plant 90 acres as the mornings were frosted, so I could get a couple hours, then stop for the thaw, then get a couple hours late afternoon. The drill's condition was ok, but certainly not up to what I hope it is now with the new parts I installed.

Even though this is the last field time wise, and worst conditions planting wise, it is by far the best looking wheat I have.

No herbicides have been applied yet and other than the fert put down for the corn, there was no other fertilizer applied as of yet either.

This is "Goetze".

Looking north in the soybean side of the field. Residue was not spread well at all, and was in fact somewhat windrowed. At this point in the wheats developement, it is not an issue. Perhaps later, it will be.

Looking east toward the earlage corn part of the field, standing in the same spot as the above pic.

Looking west, again, from the same spot as above pic.

Drove up to the edge of the corn field. So far, 100% happy with the stand. Some of the neighbors are pretty upset about this looking like a success story...............finally.

A look at the parting line of the field. This field was/is one field and has the same history of cropping untill the 2009 season.

Out from the corn toward the soybean residue. I cant see any difference at this stage of growth. It simply looks great and the emergence was also quite even for being two completely different cropping residue to plant into. It took nearly six weeks before emergence. It also was hit with the 6 degree cold snap we had, just as the seed was swelling. Amazing to me.

A closer look at the emergence through the corn.

This was earlage corn, so most of the ear was removed. However as with anytime you use a corn head, you'll get some husk pulled from the ear. The drill seemed to cut about 80% (swag) of the stalks, but as would be expected, the leaves and husks did hairpin some. Even so, I was glad to see this much stalk cutting with the drill.

The irrigation isles were not planted at all so only the broadcast corn preplant fert was applied there. However the emergence was no different in the black, non residue isles. 

Driving through to the next field, this image reminds me of some of the WW2 pictures and movies where the anti-tank block thingies were put up with the stalks pointing both directions.

Ok, just briefly, this field was planted a couple weeks earlier than the above field. However, it will have to be destroyed and re-planted. The soil is very wet and the type is white clay. Not very much tile in this field, and the ph is about 5.2 at the surface and 5.6 below the two inch mark.

A couple pictures of the wheat close up. It's not doing well as you can see.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Pokey 2/13/2010 21:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)