AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kenworth Air Compressor problems...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dri
Posted 2/11/2010 08:30 (#1069417)
Subject: Kenworth Air Compressor problems...

Central Mo

On a '97 t-600 with a red top N-14 we are hearing the air dryer "spit" about every 30 seconds while going down the road.  Air pressure has risen about 10 lbs and now stays close to 130.  Air pressure never drops unless you pump the brakes several times, then it will go down but comes right back up.   While it is pumping the dryer will not spit, only when it reaches the 130.  Is it right the dryer will only spit when the compressor cycles off? 

We have replaced the governor on the top of the compressor and  put a new cartridge on the dryer.  I have heard of some poppets in the system that might be hanging?   What else should I be looking at?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
RodInNS
Posted 2/11/2010 08:55 (#1069458 - in reply to #1069417)
Subject: RE: Kenworth Air Compressor problems...

Are you sure that you got all the lines on the govenor hooked correctly? I know the Bendix govenor's are supplied with several plugs to use depending on your port confgueration... and there is one port that needs to remain open as a drain.... Don't ask......
Could also be a bad purge valve on the drier.
What does it do if you unhook the drier and join the supply lines together?

Rod
dri
Posted 2/11/2010 09:09 (#1069494 - in reply to #1069458)
Subject: RE: Kenworth Air Compressor problems...

Central Mo
I'm pretty sure I got all the plugs in the right spot.  The new governor acted just like the old one.  I was told to replace the purge valve too but it was kind of pricey so I was trying other things first.   I thought about bypassing the dryer and seeing what would happen too.  Guess that will be my next step unless something else shows up.
ge jr
Posted 2/11/2010 09:23 (#1069518 - in reply to #1069417)
Subject: Re: Kenworth Air Compressor problems...

algona iowa
first ckeck and make sure the wet side of your air tank is not full of water or oil. We have started using new air dryers rather than fixing old as we have had trouble with rem. dryers and purge valves
bdpolar
Posted 2/11/2010 09:48 (#1069557 - in reply to #1069518)

East Saskatchewan
Ours was doing that in the winter but not when it warmed up. Ended up just replacing the whole dryer and it fixed it. For the price it was hardly worth trying to fix dryer and replace parts.
starvation
Posted 2/11/2010 11:21 (#1069682 - in reply to #1069557)

mn
have you put air alchol in it at all? some times if you put truck in side heated shop at nite then out during the day moisture will freeze in copper elbow just before the dryer
hay_rules
Posted 2/11/2010 15:47 (#1069997 - in reply to #1069417)

lucknow,ontario
take the line off of the top of the compresser and dump air line ainti freeze down it the more the better like 1/4 of the jug and put the line back on and run it i would bett it is froze if it just started to do it
Jon Hagen
Posted 2/11/2010 15:51 (#1070001 - in reply to #1069997)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
The truck we bought last summer, 92 Volvo with 60 series Detroit, has the air dryer wired to a switch on the compressor governor.
The governor has a pretty narrow differnatial so starts/ stops every minute or so after the air gets full. The air dryer blows every time the compressor cycles. seems to be normal operation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)