AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LP forklift hard to start?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/8/2010 04:55 (#1063923 - in reply to #1063904)
Subject: RE:how hard a job is that? Rebuilding the vaporizer.....

West Union, Illinois

massey760man - how hard a job is that? Easier than your average gas carb kit, or harder?
I'd say it's easier.  Messier, though.  It's been 2-3 years since I did one ... or 4-5 now that I think about it.  And remember I'm doing it Charlie's way,  We removed the vaporizer and totally disassembled and cleaned it first. I don't think you necessarily have to remove it, but it would be easier. That's messy because of the coolant half of the vaporizer. The trickiest part is setting it ... kind of like a carb.  Most of the ones I played with had a whole pile of parts

and instructions.

FIRST with the engine running turn off the LP tank.  It will run forever it seems. Once it dies turn off the ignition switch and go do something else until the coolant is safe to work with. I suggest making up some soap solution.  Your LP guy will have the good stuff.  But if you decide to make your own I suggest using shampoo instead of dish soap.  Dish soap often has ammonia in it which messes with brass fittings.

You will also want disposable gloves.  Because the oily stuff you are going to find inside will stay with you for days.

The next step will be put on some LP/anhydrous gloves.

If you don't have any dipped, lined, water and chemical resistant lined gloves you can improvise with a pair of well insulated gloves, maybe with unlined rubber gloves over them. Eye protection is a good idea as well.  You just want to be careful disconnecting the LP lines in case there should be pressure in them.  Liquid LP gets to -44 VERY quickly and does really nasty things to exposed skin.

There may be a fuel lock off which should have a filter inside

This one does not have a filter

You ought to replace the filter while you have the system down.  

I'm not trying to be a lawyer with all the side-stepping, cautions, "may's" and "should's".  It's just that A) there's a lot of variations in equipment B) who knows what modifications someone may have performed on it and C) there are undoubtably folks reading this who really ought to let someone else do the work.

We used mostly Impco  vaporizers with VFF30 lock offs.  And while we worked with LP every day with no problem, an untrained or inexperienced person without a "Charlie" standing by could do something D&D (Dumb & Dangerous)

A site I stumbled across while writing this is http://www.propanecarbs.com  Use your own discretion, I know nothing about them but the site looks helpful.

The actual work is a no-brainer if you follow the instructions. I really recommend the disposable gloves ... and throw away coveralls. And do it Monday morning so the smell wears off your skin a bit by Saturday night.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)