AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dale Earnhardt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mr. Snerdly1
Posted 2/5/2007 19:04 (#99832 - in reply to #99798)
Subject: RE: I think Petty had more dominate cars

Gosh, I believe I am showing my age, and you are showing your youth. Petty made his name in the Plymouths, it was the Dodges later on. He was really at his peak when he drove Plymouth.

He was a good driver though, even if the Hemi Mopars were a little above the competetion, he nearly won a championship before the Hemi came out in a considerably underpowered car, and was right up there with what basically was inferior equipment. I will never forget the Daytona race when the new Chrysler Hemi made its debut. The Plymouths were roughly 7-8 mph faster than anything else and finished 1-2-3 with Petty winning his first Daytona 500. I think they were outlawed the next year, and the year after that had to run fewer cubic inches than the competition. It was said in the drag cars of that era they put out 75-100 hp more than the Ford 427. I believe in the Hemi's first year there were 14 out of 16 qualifiers for top stock eliminator at the Indy Nationals and they were either Plymouth or Dodge. Such domination will never be seen again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)