AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do i need to know?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 2/6/2007 01:27 (#100063 - in reply to #99761)
Subject: Re: What do i need to know?

We ran a 9230 for about 4 years and yes there is a big pause between 6th & 7th gear. Not too bad under a light load but under a heavy load like pulling a disc ripper it would practically stop then take off again. Bad enough that we did everything possible to avoid making that shift under load. The tranny will shift back to 1st if you come to a stop but if you push the clutch in and let it back out before a complete stop the gear it's end depends upon how fast / slow the tractor is rolling. Our 9230 had the skip shift which allowed you to shidt from 1st to 4th then every other gear up to 8th or 10th, can't remember which. Not sure if the 91s had this option.

I believe the 9230s were set at 240hp. When we got ours the previous owner had turned it up quite a bit and it blew a headgasket, plus had problems breaking bolts in the exhaust manifold. We had it turned back to 275hp but within a year had to replace the head. Had a Versatile 9282, which also uses the Cummins 8.3 engine rated at 260 hp, at the same time & had head problems with it as well. Mechanic said head problems were common in with these engines in 4wds but didn't cause much problems in a mfd tractor.

Other thing we ran into with the 9230 was that it was a short framed tractor with poor weight distribution. It would power hop terribly. So bad that at times that you couldn't get your foot on the clutch to stop. Tire dealer worked a couple days with us adjusting tire psi which helped some. Finally had it weighed (front axle & then complete unit) and ended up putting 8 100# weights on the front & 14 or 16 100# weights on the rear.

Have a neighbor that runs a 9230 on a grain cart & really likes it. Grain cart isn't as big as yours, maybe 6-650 bu.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)