AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with bin going bad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 2/5/2007 13:33 (#99694 - in reply to #99659)
Subject: Re: Help with bin going bad

We have air dried corn for several years without any problems so far. Only time I ran into a problem with stored corn was years ago with artifically dried corn in a bin that was tirred & aired monthly like the unniversities told us to do. Key to air dring is depth of the corn & matching the appropriate cfm for that depth, minimum of 1.0 cfm is preferred and more is better.

Maybe you would like to inform us of a few details. What was moisture of corn going in the bin (you said it was 17% on top when you shutdown the fans). Did you fill the bin all at once or did you partly fill the bin, dry that down, then finish filling? What is the bin dia., fan(s) size, # of roof vents and depth of corn. Also, what was atmospheric conditions like during the two weeks you were air drying this corn? All of these factors come into play when attempting to air dry.

Unlike Ray I have never attempted to partially dry the corn then wait to spring to finish drying though I don't see why it couldn't be done. Also, we don't core our bins immediately after filling like most but we do pull a couple semi loads out of each bin before the first of the year. (May get burnt on that someday.) Also, we normally empty our air dried bins before those that are artifically dried, normally sometime in March but have kept corn in them into June / July with no problems.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)