AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to update pick-up. New or Used?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/7/2007 02:16 (#100593 - in reply to #100379)
Subject: RE:Has been a interesting thread, hope to answer questions

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
To answer all questions that were brought up by Wm. and Davepal. Wm. all my income is made from the ranch and dairy here. My wife's income is off farm, it goes to pay for her cars and fuel, repairs for her. Her trans. costs are kept sep. from the farm. Wife and I are fifth generation owners of this farm in Idaho and Utah, and fifth generation managing my father's ranch in Utah as well. These ranches were homesteaded in the late 1880's. We are spread out over three countys in two states in a 150 mile radius.

It involves a damm lot of driving. Only Dave from Nev. and the guy's from Or. or Mt. can really know what's like to live in the west here. It's been fun reading posts in this thread the last few days. I kept track of my mileage for the last two days in the off season. I went 350 miles myself in two days. I had to go to town to get plumbing supplies that I couldn't have gotten shipped UPS, it would have taken light freight and more than two weeks to get here. Back to town for a doctor's appt. today, then to the desert to start working on water lines. To nite all my boys and my wife loaded up and went to my sons scout awards banquet, it was a 15 mile round trip just to do that. As wife was driving, I looked at her odometer, and it read 208,768 miles on a Buick bought new in 1999. It's only been drove by her to work, taking kids to doctor, getting groceries while in town. It has never been on a family trip, nor have I driven it.

Trust me I try to use UPS, FedX, daily milk truck, other people that work in town, anything I can to try and run for parts. I even have the pharmacy in town send meds. out on the school bus on nite runs to save a trip to town. Even the pump repair companies that we use on a monthly basis, calls us before coming to us or other ranches and farms on the way to see if we need anything delivered to us.

I have to give credit to my wife and other women that live in area like this. Very few can handle living out in western rural areas.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 2/7/2007 02:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)