AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ Steer or Autopilot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/5/2007 18:02 (#99806 - in reply to #99712)
Subject: RE: questions tedbear... and/or others running autopilot and XP

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, I check the convegence since this is very easy with the 332's display. Usually it is down to 2 inches. I have seen a few instances where it said 1 inch. The time for convergence can be an issue. In my case, I just parked the tractor is an open part of my dooryard and left the GPS on overnight to maintain my convergence during the planting season.

There is the autoseed feature which will assume that the rig has not moved and start out with the last known coordinates in an effort to speed up the convergence issue. However, if you need to move right away this plan seems counterproductive with the convergence taking even longer.

When I have errors, I'm not certain what to attribute them to. I purposely avoided doing any nudging as I felt I wanted to see what the system would do on its own. Another driver messed with the nudging and ended up with more of a problem than I had.

I only had a couple of instances where I could check repeatibility. This Spring will tell the tale better. In a couple of cases, I came back 2 weeks later to plant soybeans beside my corn. It was desirable to just pull in and let the Autopilot drive on the first pass by using the AB line from the corn field. This seemed to work out fine without any nudging.

Last fall I came back to some of those same bean fields to apply NH3 in those fields. Again it was desirable to use the old AB lines if possible. This worked out fine also. The Insight informed me that the current implement was of a different width and suggested an offset factor. I accepted that factor and things worked out well.

Actually I'm surprised that in the instances mentioned above that everything worked out so well. I doubt if I can count on this working that well again. I don't want anyone to get the impression that my observations are typical.

Edited by tedbear 2/6/2007 09:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)